- Student Success Center
- Writing Center
- Learning Center
- TRIO Programs
- TRIO-Student Support Services (SSS)
- TRIO-McNair Scholars Program
- Summer Suspension Waiver Program
- Scholarship Applications
- Faculty & Staff
McNair Scholars Program Eligibility
McNair will be limited to only 28 students at Central.
To be eligible to apply, a student must be:
1) a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
2) an undergraduate student, with junior status, who is maintaining a 2.75 GPA (3.0 GPA or above preferred), who is seriously planning graduate studies at the doctoral level, and who is interested in conducting research under the guidance of faculty mentors;
3) and a first-generation, low-income college student (generally, that means neither parent graduated from college with a bachelor's degree and that you need financial assistance to pay for college; exact criteria will be applied individually) - OR - a student from an ethnic or racial group underrepresented in graduate education.
Selection Criteria for McNair Scholars
A. Students must show a high level of COMMITMENT to this program, its activities, and its goals. Attendance at ALL seminars, required meetings, appointments, etc., is expected, as is adherence to all scheduled deadlines.
B. Students must fit the eligibility categories: they must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents; at least two-thirds of our McNair Scholars must (by federal regulations) be first-generation and low-income students; the remaining may be students underrepresented by ethnicity or race in graduate study.
C. Students selected will generally have junior status. Students must be enrolled and attending classes as undergraduates in a degree program at UCM during the Spring and Fall.
D. Students must show high potential for entering doctoral programs. Therefore, students should have strong academic records and experiences, and a 3.0 overall GPA or above is preferred.
E. Students must have strong letters of recommendations. These references will be highly influential in determining McNair acceptance. Recommendations should be from professors who know the student well and are willing to meet the deadline.
|Kari Azevedo, Ph.D.|
|McNair Academic Coordinator|
|Warrensburg, MO 64093|
|Phone: (660) 543-4135 or 543-8830|
F. Completed applications received prior to the deadline will be reviewed. Finalists will be chosen and contacted to schedule a personal interview with the McNair Selection Committee.