Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content




January 17, 2012

January 15, 2013

The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
Chairs Meeting
January 15, 2013
3:30 p.m.

Building Stronger Programs and Departments

Members Present:   Richard Herman, Don Melichar, James Staab, Eric Tenbus, Jack Rogers, Steven Moore, Vicki Orcutt, Steve Boone, and Dean Nelson

On-going Issues:

  • Common Reader Project:  Common reader will be across the campus.  Spearheading the initiative is English with ADP.  They are discussing what courses will use the common reader.  We anticipate having the author visit campus during the spring semester.  If you have a recommendation for the book, contact Dr. Melichar.  The Dean will provide information updates as they become available.
  • Signature Programs:  Not much to say.  The BOG still looking for this to get accomplished.  It seems to be already decided.  Signature Programs are those programs that are known from the outside.  The Provost is looking to fund robust programs with promise.  Maybe we should look at the real breadth of the University not just signature programs.  The program enhancement committee has not been created as of today. 
  • Course Evaluations:  The appropriate time to address is now.  Some of the Department Chairs felt the college questions were the same as the department, and the state questions overlapped.  The Dean is wanting volunteers to look at the questions and rationalize all these questions.   Dr. Melichar mentioned the real trick to on-line course evaluations is the return rate which was awful and the Provost agreed with him so maybe we go back to pen and paper.  Especially for those who need robust evaluations (promotion and tenure eligible).  Dr. Melichar will work with Dr. Boone on this.  Chairs were asked to forward their department evaluations questions to Dr. Melichar who will get with Dr. Boone to work the issues.  Dr. Moore would like to see on-line evaluations move forward.  All student evaluations should accomplish in class.  Dr. Staab goes to the lab when size is manageable.  When using the lab the response rate is good. 
  • Classroom Innovation:  The Dean asked to have Dr. Leicht attend the next meeting.  He discussed having the meeting in the new room.  The pilot revealed 1) students understand the purpose which is feedback to the faculty and 2) to provide the faculty and department chairs with information to improve teaching.
  • Program Promotion:  Dr. Herman discussed a recent festival the department attended for recruiting.  He said the other universities in attendance programs were not as good as ours, but their marketing is better.  Student’s attending are not all going to theatre but we do not have anything to give them accept flyers.  The Dean said he thinks we are ready to roll out the School of Visual and Performing Arts.  Dr. Moore shared the brochure created for Music.  Everyone liked the design.  The Dean recommended a representative from each of the units and eventually get a designer.  Theatre needs a brochure.  The Dean will convene a group of the humanities and social sciences to develop promotion program with a two-year shelf life.  Dr. Rogers mentioned getting Tom Heapes on the committee with his business sense.  Tom will come to the next meeting (the Dean will contact him).  Dr. Moore suggested a flat screen TV (touch screen).  All felt this would be something all departments could use and would be of value for program promotion. 
  • Instruction Technology:  Dr. Boone provided an update on where the college is with respect to technology and lab updates.