"What Can I Do With a Major in...Construction Management?"
Why Major in Construction Management?
The graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Construction Management will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Apply oral, written, graphic and listening skills as each enhances the behavioral principles or attitude and effective communications.
- Apply scientific knowledge of the mathematical, physical, and construction sciences to the economic utilization of materials and forces of nature affecting construction practice.To implement the various forms of technology necessary to complete the task of construction management, utilizing the computer and electronic data processing through complete word-processing, databases, spreadsheets, applications, and the information highway.
- Apply the principles and philosophy of management systems, cost accounting, and economics to the construction industry, including the interpretation of contracts, the values of team building, and the Construction Code of Conduct established by the industry through the assistance of the American Institute of Constructors.
- To identify the appropriate construction management principles necessary to complete the site plans, evaluating vendors and subcontractors, writing field purchase orders, change orders, subcontract agreements, shop drawings, as built drawings, daily logs and job diaries, construction reports and progress payment requests.
- To execute construction safety standards including the ability to interpret the OSHA construction standards, establish safety and health procedures on the job site, and perform hazardous material and process analysis.
- Understand the science of materials and methods of construction as they apply to the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Divisions designated for the construction industry including terminology, standard designations, sizes, and quality testing.
- Complete the estimating, cost accounting, and bidding sequence necessary for construction job acquisition and completion. To prepare and complete cost control processes including the ability to establish a budget, prepare cost reports, and forecast expenditures.
- Perform quantity take-off, interpret construction specification, identify appropriate codes, identify site conditions, apply value engineering, and develop detailed project proposals. To prepare a complete construction project schedule, develop a procurement time table, establish a project manual and plan showing the logical sequence of activities and time duration in order to monitor progress and update schedules.
Related Career Titles
|Airport Maintenance Chief||Labor Crew Supervisor|
|Asbestos Removal Supervisor||Laborer|
|Assistant Construction Superintendent||Lathing Supervisor|
|Bank Boss||Maintenance & Service|
|Bill Posting Supervisor||Maintenance Carpenter|
|Brick Layer Supervisor||Marble Supervisor|
|Building Inspector||Mixing Supervisor|
|Building Insulation Supervisor||Mold Carpenter|
|Carpenter||Mold Construction Supervisor|
|Chief Electrician||Ornamental Ironwork Supervisor|
|Chimney Supervisor||Painting Supervisor|
|Clearing Supervisor||Pile Driving Supervisor|
|Code Inspector||Pipe Filter Supervisor|
|Concreting Supervisor||Pipeline Maintenance|
|Construction & Building Inspector||Plumber Supervisor|
|Construction Inspector||Plumbing Inspector|
|Construction Manager||Project Manager/Engineer|
|Construction Planner||Prop Maker Carpenter|
|Construction Supervisor||Railcar Carpenter|
|Contracts Administrator||Reinforced Steel Placer|
|Cost Estimators||Rigging Supervisor|
|Dry Wall Applicator||Rock Drill Operator I|
|Earth Boring Machine||Rock Drill Operator II|
|Electric Supervisor||Roofing Supervisor|
|Electrical Inspector||Sewer Maintenance|
|Faculty Member at a College or University||Site Supervisor|
|Field Assembly Supervisor||Steel Post Install Supervisor|
|First Line Supervisor & Manager||Stonemason Supervisor|
|Foundation Drill Operator||Superintendent|
|Heating & Refrigeration||Swimming Pool Maintenance|
|Highway Maintenance||Tankage Supervisor|
|House Mover Supervisor||Taping Supervisor|
|House Repair Carpenter||Terrazzo Supervisor|
|Job Site Manager||Tunnel Heading|
|Utilities & Maintenance||Wood Boat Builder|
Related Job Listings/Job Search Website
Build Find Network
Builders Search Group
Construction Recruiter's Network
The Fulcrum International
Green Jobs Ready
Hornberger Management Company
American Council for Construction Education (ACCE)
American Institute of Architects (AIA)
American Institute of Constructors (AIC)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
Association Builders and Contractors (ABC)
Association General Contractors of America (AGC)
Association Schools of Construction (ASC)
Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (ATMAE)
Building Industry Exchange (BIE)
Construction Industry Careers
Construction Specification Institute (CSI)
Construction Users Roundtable (CURT)
Design Build Institute of America
National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)
National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
Society for Advancement of Value Engineering (SAVE)
Four-Year Academic Plan
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Career Services Center by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me
Career Development Coordinator