"What Can I Do With a Major in...English?"
Bachelor of Arts Degree
Bachelor of Science in Education Degree
The graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in English degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Appreciate the aesthetics of literature; understand its origins, trends, critical approaches, classifications, and limitations; and evaluate significant patterns of meaning found in its study.
- Write and speak with clarity, originality, grammatical correctness, and logic, demonstrating rhetorical skills necessary for successful communication.
- Accomplish primary and secondary research, incorporating the results into formal written and oral presentations.
- Understand language diversity as well as language uses, the relationship between spoken and written language, historical developments and social/cultural adaptations, and particular and universal linguistic features.
- Understand the relationship between a work of literature and the historical/cultural milieu in which it was written.
- Identify the components of a sound language arts curriculum at the secondary school level.
- Understand and apply currently accepted teaching theory and practice.
- Develop a personal philosophy and teaching style that accounts for diverse student backgrounds, needs, and abilities and that reflects growing teacher expertise.
Related Career Titles
Junior Account Executive
Related Job Listings/ Job Search Website
Creative HotLists Jobs
Freelance Writing Jobs
Freelance Writing Opportunities
Online Job Bank
Opportunities in Book Jobs
Poets and Writers
The Writer's Center
The Write Jobs
American Academy of Advertising
American Advertising Federation
American Association of Advertising Agencies
American Book Producers Association
American Copy Editors Society
American Medical Publishers' Association
American Medical Writers Association
American Newspaper Publishers Association
American Podiatric Medical Writers
American Society of Journalists and Authors
American Society of Magazine Editors
American Society of Newspaper Editors
Association of American Publishers
Association of Authors and Publishers
Association of Directory of Publishers
Association for Women in Communications
Association of American University Presses
Black Women in Publishing
Directory of Investigative Journalists
Editorial Freelancers Association
Investigative Reporters and Editors
National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
National Association of Broadcaster
National Association of Science Writers
National Cable Television Association
National Newspaper Publishing Association
National Writers Association
National Writers Union
North American Association of Travel Journalists
Magazine Publishers of America
Missouri State Teachers Association
Missouri National Education Association
New York Financial Writers Association
Poets and Writers
Publishing Organizations in North America
Society for Technical Communication
Society of American Business Editors and Writers
Society of National Association Publication
Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators
Small Publishers, Artists, and Writers Network
Small Publishers Association of North America
Writers Guild of America - East
Writers Guild of America - West
Four-Year Academic Plan
Career Library Resources
Great Jobs for English Majors
Careers in Focus - Writing
Careers in Law
Great Jobs for Liberal Arts Majors
Opportunities in Publishing Careers
Opportunities in Technical Writing Careers
Opportunities in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Opportunities in Writing Careers
Careers for Writers and Others Who Have a Way with Words
Top Careers for Liberal Arts Graduates
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Office of Career Services by e-mail at email@example.com and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me
Career Development Coordinator