Student Teaching & Certification
Alternative Pathways to Certification
University of Central Missouri has one of the highest program-specific accreditation designations in the state of Missouri. These accreditations, which include the Higher Learning Commission of North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, assures the quality of our academic programs.
Alternative pathways to certification allows candidates with degrees not related to education to earn educator certification in the state of Missouri.
If you are seeking certification as a school counselor, click here for more information.
Requirements for admission to alternative pathways to certification
- Baccalaureate degree or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university. Note: All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an approved credentialing agency.
- Application for admission to Alternative Pathways for Certification
- An official certification requirement plan
- A clear background check
- A 2.75 minimum cumulative grade point average overall.
- A 3.0 minimum cumulative grade point average in subject area classes
- Completion of Missouri Educator Profile (MEP) during first semester of classes
Additionally, candidates must achieve a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in their professional education classes to be eligible for certification.
University of Central Missouri offers classes in the evenings, on-line, on weekends, and at Central Summit Center in Lee's Summit. Generally speaking, it is not possible to complete alternative pathways to certification through University of Central Missouri by taking only on-line classes or only classes at Central Summit Center in Lee's Summit. Some alternative pathways to certification candidates attend classes on campus in Warrensburg at least one semester to complete their certification requirements. Other candidates complete substitute classes to fulfill certifcation requirements at other universities and/or community colleges with prior approval from Clinical Services and Certification staff.