The Midwest Center for Charter Schools and Urban Education
Charter schools and UCM
The University of Central Missouri's role as sponsor to nine public charter schools enhances its ability to provide a comprehensive, engaging teacher preparation program and contributes to its mission to serve at-risk students. UCM has sponsored charter schools since 1999.
The sponsorship of these schools in Kansas City, Mo., benefits UCM's teacher education students by offering them opportunities to gain hands-on experience within an urban setting, and satisfying accreditation standards for their education. Since 2003, 2,063 UCM students have acquired field experience in the UCM-sponsored charter schools.
What are charter schools?
Charter schools are:
- Free, public schools open to all students.
- Guided by specific academic and non-academic goals.
- Governed by an independent board of directors.
- Overseen by sponsors, such as UCM.
- Often set apart by a specific mission or educational program.