College Credit for Missouri Boys State and Girls State Participants
If you participated in Missouri Boys State or Girls State this past summer you could earn college credit. Here's how:
Do I qualify?
Students must meet the below criteria to qualify for the college credit. Qualified students will be contacted by UCM via email in October giving them the chance to enroll.
- Successfully complete the entire week. Students who leave the program for any reason will not be eligible for college credit.
- Actively participate in the academic portions of the program ( i.e. special assemblies, schools of instruction, and governmental activities). It must be evident that the student is at least attempting to be an active citizen by running for government and/or political office, seeking appointments, helping other citizens’ campaign for office, serving as a reporter for one of the medias, etc. Daily newspapers, city and county reports, ballots, and reports by the counselors will be used to evaluate each citizen’s participation. In addition, each student will write an essay or complete a participation chart summarizing participation and what was learned. The student must complete and submit this essay or chart and it must satisfactorily address the question and adequately demonstrate an ability to communicate in writing in order to be eligible. Participation in fitness activities is not counted toward a student’s academic participation.
- Receive at least a 70% on all examinations.
If you have questions about qualification, please contact Dr. Robynn Kuhlmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the credit options avalaible?
Option I for 2 credit hours:
If you choose this option, you don't have to complete any additional work, just apply and enroll for the credits. Applicants will receive a grade of "pass" and transcripts can be requested in December, 2014.
Option II for 3 credit hours:
If you choose this option you would need to write and submit a short 5-6 pages paper due on April 6, 2015. You will earn three credit hours with a letter grade of A-D based upon the paper you submit. A description of the course and objectives can be found on the course syllabus. You will need internet access as all work will be submitted online. After you enroll for the credits, we will notify you via email at the address you provided on the Boys, or Girls, State application. This email will include enrollment information and further instructions on the credit option you have chosen. Credit for this option will be awarded for the Spring 2015 semester and transcripts will be available in May, 2015.
How do I apply and enroll for the credits?
If you qualify, you should have received an email from UCM informing you of your eligbility and options for enrollment. This email was sent to the address you provided on the Boys or Girls State Application. If you no longer have this email, follow these instructions:
- You must apply for admission to UCM (even if you plan to attend a different university) in order to receive the credits. This application is specifc to this credit so it won't affect any other admission plans you have.
- Create an account on the Log In page.
- Complete the online application making sure to select “Missouri Boys/Girls State” from the scroll down menu when asked “What type of student will you be (REQUIRED)?”
- Print out the enrollment form at the end of the application process, fill it out and circle the credit option you want.
- Mail completed enrollmnent form by December 12, 2014 (to the address at the top of the form) with full payment for processing.
If you do not receive a confirmation email within 20 days of mailing in your form, or if you have any questions about enrolling, please contact us at 660-543-4876.
What if I have previously applied to UCM?
If you have applied and/or received credits from Central before, you don't have to re-apply. Just print out, complete this enrollment form and mail it in with full payment by December 12, 2014.
How much do these credits cost?
Tuition for these options is set at $85 per credit hour. This rate is approximately a 65% savings from the regular undergraduate tuition students pay when taking this course on campus. Full payment is due with enrollment application. Refunds are not allowed once application has been processed. Payments should be made out to UCM. Credit card payments are not accepted at this time.
Can I transfer these credits out?
We recommend that you verify the transferability of credits with the receiving institution as only they can confirm if, and how, your credits will transfer. Credits will be transcripted as POLS 1244 - Workshop in Political Science.
Please contact Dr. Robynn Kuhlmann at email@example.com or with any questions concerning qualification, credits available or class requirements.