Gateway Advising and Major Exploration Center
Contact UCM Office of Career Services to schedule a Job Shadow Appointment
J ourney from college to career for a day
O bserve professionals in action
B uild career interest
S pend time with an expert and experience the profession first hand
H ave an opportunity to ask the questions you want answers to
A cquire knowledge about the positions you can’t read about online
D evelop a better understanding of typical functions and responsibilities
O btain information necessary to make a career decision
W itness a typical day-in-the-life and see if you can picture yourself in it
Job shadowing provides you with an opportunity to get a feel for a particular work environment and to conduct an informational interview. A job shadow is typically a one day experience that:
- Gives you an opportunity to "test the waters" within your chosen field
- Helps you expand your own professional network
Below are questions to consider as you meet with employers in your field of interest. Finding out answers to these questions will help you gain valuable insight into your chosen career field.
- How long have you been in your current position?
- How did you get into the field?
- What is your education/career background?
- What are your current responsibilities? Types of projects?
- Where do you see this field going in the next 3-5 years?
- What skill sets are employers looking for in this field?
- What are some of the pros/cons of working this field/with this employer?
- What tips do you have for someone starting out in their career?
- What do you enjoy most about your job? The least?
- What skills and abilities are critical for success for someone in your position?
- What subject areas would you recommend that I focus on in college?
- What publications/websites do you read to stay current in your field?
- If you were about to graduate from college, how would you go about getting into this field today?