- Geography Home
- About the Geography
- Degree & Certificate Progams
- Scholarships for Geography
- Faculty & Staff
- Student Activities
- Geography Club
- Archive of Events
- Geography Newsletter
- Advisory Board
- Alumni Survey
- Support the Program
The Georgraphy program is part of the School of Environmental, Physical and Applied Sciences in the College of Health, Science and Technology at the University of Central Missouri.
What is geography?
Geography is a "big picture" discipline and serves as an important bridge or liaison between the social, physical, and mathematical sciences. In other words, it incorporates aspects of many other fields such as geology, history, biology, and anthropology.
Geography is a core discipline in our campus curriculum, an attractive major in the Liberal Arts, and excellent preparation for life in a complex and fast-paced world. Geography offers important analytic tools for careers in areas such as planning, criminal justice, agriculture, environmental studies, and international affairs. Spatial data analysis, cartography, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are some of the hottest areas in the global workplace. Join our Geography Listserv (right column) and keep abreast of the many opportunities!
Why Study Geography at Central Missouri?
- Our faculty members have traveled and lived in places around the world, speak a dozen languages between them, and are well equipped to share their expertise on a wealth of topics, from sand dunes in Kansas to population policy in China, forestry in Nepal, and transportation in South Korea.
- We provide individualized attention, advising, and mentoring by dedicated, experienced faculty members who hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- The program provides a solid undergraduate education in human and physical geography as well as geo-techniques.
- Our university is home to a U.S. Map Depository, with a vast map collection at the Kirkpatrick Library and in our Map Resource Room; the latter includes the Ellis Wall Map and Globe Collection. We have electronic classrooms, and a well-equipped computer lab with statistical, remote sensing, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software programs.
We have Geography Club as well as the Iota Lambda Chapter of Gamma Theta Upsilon, our international honor society
We invite you to take a closer look!