Graduate School and International Admissions
- Prospective Students
- Degree Programs
- International Admissions
- Current Students
- Financial Support
- Faculty Resources
- Graduate Faculty Governance
- About the Graduate School
UCM Human Subjects - Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Human Subjects Workshop Video
Click on this link to watch a video on the HUman Subjects process at UCM:
1. Applications are submitted to the IRB through the community group site on Blackboard. Go to the community tab using either the Organization Search or Organization Catalog modules. Once located, click the drop down next to the Human Subjects Committee and select Enroll.
Go to the application tab and find the application type you are submitting. Attach the application as well as materials including surveys, consent, letters of permission and recruitment wording. Student researchers are to email their advisor a copy of the application. You will see your submission posted in the gradebook. Reviewers' decisions generally take about two weeks.
2. CITI Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training certificate is required prior to approval.
3. When the study needs to be renewed or you have completed the study, complete this: Project Status Form. It documents the number of subjects and any adverse events the subjects experienced.
Not Human Subjects Research Determination - This form determines whether or not an IRB review is required. A formal "not human subjects determination" letter will be sent if approved.
Exempt Application - Exempt research is where the subjects are usually anonymous, no intervention and minimal risk.
Expedited Review Application - These are typically for research which has identifiable information, an intervention and minimal risk. Click for categories of research that may have an expedited review.
Full Review Application - Full reviews address research that is associated with greater than minimal risks or includes protected populations including minors, pregnant women, fetuses or prisoners. The IRB offers assistance prior to this type of submission.
Informed Consent Templates
Assent This form should be modified in language written to the age of the child.
Frequently Asked Questions
Meeting Schedule, Membership and Operations
The IRB will re-convene on 8/29/2014. The 2014-2015 meeting schedule is 8/29, 9/12, 9/26, 10/10, 10/24, 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 1/23, 2/6, 2/20, 3/6, 4/3, 4/17, 5/1 at 1 pm in ADM 315
Reporting Concerns for Human Subjects Research
The UCM IRB recommends that concerns related to IRB first be discussed with one's supervisor, since many instances can be corrected within the research team. Alternatively, the IRB Compliance Officer may be contacted at email@example.com.