Center for Business Internships
The Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies (HCBPS) has been actively engaged in placing highly qualified business students with firms throughout the Midwest and beyond for more than 20 years. We offer internships for accounting, computer information systems, economics, finance, marketing, and management students who are pursuing a B.S. in Business Administration degree. We also offer opportunities for students who are enrolled in all tracks of the M.B.A. program and in the M.S. in Information Technology program.
UCM has a student population of approximately 11,000, with about 2,000 of them pursuing degrees in the Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies. Each calendar year the Center for Business Internships places more than 200 interns nationally and internationally with companies ranging from small businesses to large international corporations. During the last five years 655 students earned 2,849 hours of academic credit and $3,357,603 in wages.
Internship Programs, Policies and Procedures
1. Students must have the following on file in the Center for Business Internships:
a. Internship Application
b. Current resume
c. Current copy of your "on-line" degree audit
d. Eligibility to Work Form - (International Students Only)
Note: The Center for Business Internships must have access to an electronic copy of your resume.
2. Students must have completed a minimum of 60 semester hours of academic credit.
3. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (limited exceptions may be approved with detailed justification) and accounting majors a minimum gpa of 2.65.
4. Students must perform the internship in their business major or minor field of study.
5. Marketing majors must be admitted to the Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies (HCBPS), and have completed the initial marketing course before beginning an internship. Marketing minors are not eligible to enroll in an internship until they complete the business pre-admission courses.
6. All internships will be for academic credit and be paid positions. The HCBPS Center for Business Internships (CBI) will not pursue opportunities for non-credit employment.
7. Students may select either part-time or full-time internships. As a general rule, employers offer more full-time positions.
8. Students performing internships must fulfill all requirements of the current internship syllabus.
9. The provisions of the general (undergraduate) and graduate catalogs of the University of Central Missouri will be applicable for all internships.
10. Submission of an application does not guarantee an internship. Applicants are subject to review by the Center for Business Internships and the employing agency.
1. Students who obtain internships through the Center for Business Internships are required to be enrolled in the internship course in their business major or minor field of study. The Center for Business Internships will enroll each student. Students must be enrolled in the internship course to receive academic credit.
NOTE: If the student obtains an internship through his/her own resources, and wants academic credit, the Center for Business Internships must approve the job description before enrolling a student in an internship course.
2. Students employed for a minimum of 200 hours in an approved internship will be enrolled in three semester hours of credit. In some cases, federal/state requirements require a minimum of 6 semester hours of credit; see the Center for Business Internships for details.
3. Students employed for a minimum of 350 hours in an approved internship will be enrolled in six semester hours of credit.