I'm a future:
Grades 1-6 Option, Clinical Pathways, Bachelor of Science in Education Degree
Elementary Education majors in the grades 1-6 option will be certified to teach in any classroom grades 1-6. Students may add additional certifications with this major such as early childhood or middle school certification.
Why Choose Elementary Education at UCM?
Grades 1-6 option
- According to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, UCM is "one of the premier teacher education institutions in the state" and has a reputation for preparing some of the finest teachers in the classroom today.
- The program has full accreditation by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- The program has national recognition by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Association for Childhood Education International.
What will I study?
Elementary Education majors study a core of education and liberal arts classes. Combined with a professional education semester that includes 16 weeks of student teaching. Elementary Education majors choose a teaching area of concentration. These are: Art, English, Instructional Technology, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Science, Social Studies, and Speech Communication or Theatre.
- Curriculum Design and Assessment
- Foundations of Education
- Literacy and Communication Arts for the Younger Learner
- Student Teaching
Related areas of concentration:
- Clinical Pathways
- Traditional Pathways
What can I do with a degree in Elementary Education?
- Department of Education
- Private school teacher
- Public school teacher
- Social Services
How can I get involved outside the classroom?
At UCM, we value an engaging learning experience that includes student involvement and service-learning projects.
In Elementary Education, there are several opportunities to be involved:
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Leading Educator Advocates for Diversity
- Missouri National Educators Association
- Student Missouri State Teachers Association
About our Faculty:
The student to faculty ratio at UCM is 17 to 1, which allows professors to get to know students and provide personalized attention.
Department faculty members all have public school or early childhood teaching experience and are qualified teachers who engage regularly in a variety of professional development opportunities and work closely with and in our public partner schools.
Learn more about Elementary Education at UCM:
Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education