- Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Graduate Degree Programs
- Prospective Student Resources
- Faculty & Staff
- Current Student Resources
- Calendar & Special Events
- Community Music Program
- Music Alumni
- Getting to UCM
- For Faculty
- About Us
Mission / Vision Statements and Student Outcomes
The Department of Music Mission Statement:
The Department of Music provides students with the foundation, experience, and specialized instruction necessary for success in a variety of music careers, advanced studies, entrepreneurship, and life-long learning.
[Mission revised by music faculty February, 2014].
The Department of Music Vision Statement:
The department of music aspires to be recognized nationally as a music school
providing a broad and rich foundation of training and experience, developing
flexible musical artists who are ready to engage with the world of music today.
The Department of Music will:
1. Prepare music students to be leaders in their professions by:
- establishing high standards through faculty modeling
- reinforcing high achievement through guest residencies and performances
- recognizing the evolutionary aspect of how music functions in the current culture
- equipping students with the ability to practice their craft at the highest level
- pursuing an active level of engagement with their communities within the field and the surrounding community
- demonstrating creativity in problem solving, pedagogy, and entrepreneurship
2. Serve as an innovator in music curriculum, performance, creativity and
3. Refine curricula to reflect the ongoing changes and challenges of the professional music environment.
4. Cultivate a supportive learning environment by actively promoting a climate of respect for personal and cultural differences, and by offering a range of services and activities to support the needs of the student musicians who come to us from around the world, and from a variety of musical backgrounds.
|Bachelor of Arts|
The graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in music will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
|Bachelor of Music|
The graduate with a Bachelor of Music degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
|Bachelor of Music Education|
The graduate with a Bachelor of Music Education degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
|Master of Arts|
The graduate with a Master of Arts in Music degree (all emphases) will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
The Department of Music utilizes a variety of assessment tools in collecting data regarding student outcomes. Data are examined in an effort to provide feedback to the faculty to improve the teaching and learning process. The following are assessment tools used for baccalaureate degree students in music:
|Assessment at the Graduate level|
2014 Music News
UCM Students and Teachers earn multiple honors at 2014 NATS Students Auditions read more...