- Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Graduate Degree Programs
- Prospective Student Resources
- Faculty & Staff
- Current Student Resources
- Calendar & Special Events
- Community Music Program
- Music Alumni
- Getting to UCM
- For Faculty
- About Us
Mission Statement and Student Outcomes
The Department of Music Mission Statement:
The Department of Music fosters artistic excellence through scholarship, teaching, and performance; serving as a center of artistic inquiry, leadership, and collaboration.
In fulfillment of its mission, the Department of Music:
- Advocates music as an essential element of human experience.
- Prepares students for careers and further study in music.
- Serves as a leader in music education, while offering distinctive programs in music technology, Kodaly certification, jazz/commercial music, and piano pedagogy.
- Encourages creative and reflective thinking through its support of the General Education program.
[Mission revised by music faculty February, 2008].
|Bachelor of Arts|
The graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in music will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
|Bachelor of Music|
The graduate with a Bachelor of Music degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
|Bachelor of Music Education|
The graduate with a Bachelor of Music Education degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
|Master of Arts|
The graduate with a Master of Arts in Music degree (all emphases) will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
The Department of Music utilizes a variety of assessment tools in collecting data regarding student outcomes. Data are examined in an effort to provide feedback to the faculty to improve the teaching and learning process. The following are assessment tools used for baccalaureate degree students in music:
|Assessment at the Graduate level|
2013-2014 Music News
UCM Music Technology program selected for Shure Fantastic Scholastic Recording Competition read more...
Dr. Carla Maltas assists Boy Scouts of America as an instructor for Merit Badge University read more...
Haley Steele earns top summer McNair scholar honors read more...
Dr. Michael Sekelsky serves on committee for history of drum set museum display read more...
Dr. Alan Wenger receives notification of trumpet quartet book publication read more...
Dr. Eric Honour has composition selected for 2013 International Computer Music Conference read more...