to the UCM Bands website!
Below you will find answers to some of the most common questions regarding the Marching Mules at Central Missouri. If you still have questions after viewing this information, please contact Dr. Scott Lubaroff, Director of Bands.
1. Are there scholarships or service awards available for marching band? Yes!
2. How do I audition? AUDITIONS includes: Woodwind/Brass, Color Guard, Drumline process and Drumline Audition Music link.
3. Is there a course requirement for marching band?
In order to receive the Service Award, students must be enrolled in Marching Band - MUS 1005 (either section). Students may enroll before completing an audition, but must complete an audition before the 1st Sunday of Preseason Camp. The service award is applied to student revenue accounts in two increments: $300 prior to the season, and the remainder upon successful conclusion of the season (November: See Handbook for details).
4. When do students move to campus for marching band?
Marching Band members move into student housing or off-campus housing on the Friday prior to the start of classes each fall. The Preseason Camp Schedule provides current dates and times. Drumline (battery) and Color Guard members move to campus two days prior to the rest of the Marching Mules. Please schedules posted on those respective pages.
5. Which weekends will have performances during the upcoming season?
See dates on the Bands calendar.
6. What is the weekly rehearsal schedule for marching band?
The Bands web calendar is updated regularly to reflect daily rehearsals, agendas, and performances. Please note: Marching Band meets 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm on TUES./THUR. afternoons. Drumline and Color Guard have additional weekly sectionals.
7. Does the Marching Band travel and/or compete? University bands do not compete. The Marching Mules will perform each year in exhibition at the UCM Festival of Champions, and possibly at one other local or area venue, or at a Kansas City Chiefs football game as the schedule permits.
8. What are my obligations past the regular football season?
Potential post-season NCAA Tournament games are listed on the Bands calendar. On-campus games will be mandatory, while any off-campus games will be volunteer. Students must perform at a minimum of 1 post-season tournament game to be eligible to travel to the National Championship game.
All music majors and minors, as well as non-majors who have accepted Wind & Percussion area scholarships who are NOT also in the UCM Wind Ensemble are REQUIRED to complete the fall semester in the UCM Symphonic Band once the football season ends. Others who are interested in a high-level concert band experience are also encouraged to participate in the Symphonic Band.
9. What do I need to do while attending Freshman/Transfer Student Orientation?
A. Enroll for MUS 1005, Marching Band. *Tues/Thur, 3:30-5:30 pm
B. Complete audition as soon as possible (if necessary)
C. Complete online member REGISTRATION
D. Check this web page periodically for updates
E. Prepare to move to campus for Preseason Camp
10. Are there any outside purchases necessary for marching band? New students must have a Marching Mules tee-shirt, gloves (except percussion/color guard), black marching shoes, a lyre and flip folder (for wind players). Most of these items are available for purchase at Preseason Camp. The Preseason Camp page details the new student purchases.
11. When are Symphonic Wind/Jazz Ensemble auditions?
Wind Ensemble auditions will will be held during the opening few days of the fall semester. Audition information and materials are posted online. Jazz Ensemble auditions are typically during the first 4 days of classes each semester.