School Cancellations/Office Closings
Should inclement weather or a crisis situation require class cancellations and/or office closings, the following guidelines will be followed:
The decision will be made by the president in consultation with the director of public safety. In the case of inclement weather, the earlier a decision can be made, the better, preferably before 5 a.m. for day classes and 2 p.m. for evening classes.
The president will notify the vice presidents and the president's staff, who notify supervisors, who will notify employees throughout the chain of command. If the cancellation/closing occurs outside of normal business hours, individuals at each level who reside outside of Warrensburg should be contacted first.
If evening classes are canceled due to inclement weather, the James C. Kirkpatrick Library will close at Close of Business (5 p.m.) with the rest of the offices on campus. Similarly, if Saturday classes are canceled, the Kirkpatrick Library also will be closed.
If the campus has a delayed start for offices and classes, this same delayed start will apply to the library. Public Safety or University Relations will notify the Dean of Library Services as soon as such a decision is made so that staff may be notified immediately.
On weekends when the library normally would be open and there are no class-related or office-related decisions to follow, a decision about opening or closing the library due to inclement weather will be delegated to the Dean of Library Services. In consultation with Public Safety and University Relations, appropriate communication measures will be followed to alert students and the rest of campus. The campus text messaging and web pages will have the information for distribution/posting.
Please click here to view UCM's Internal Procedure and Timeline For Limited University Operations and Class Cancellations/Delays Under Inclement Weather Conditions.
Once the cancellation/closing decision is made, the University Relations staff will notify the following media:
- KTBG-FM 90.9/104.9 & KMOS-TV 6 Central
- KOKO-AM 1450 & KWKJ FM 98.5 Warrensburg
- KDKD-AM 1280 Clinton
- KDRO-AM 1490, KSIS-AM 1050, KSDL-FM 92.1 and KXKX-FM 105.7 Sedalia
- WHB-AM 810, KAOL-AM 1430, & KMZU-FM 100.7 Carrollton
- KMMO-AM 1300 & KMMO-FM 102.9 Marshall
- KSHB-TV 41, KCTV-TV 5, KMBC-TV 9, & WDAF-TV 4 Kansas City
- The Kansas City Broadcasting Cooperative on School Closings
- KMBC-TV 9
- WDAF-TV 4
- KBEQ-FM 104
- KMXV-FM 93.3
- KFKF-FM 94.1
- KCTV-TV 5
- KSHB-TV 41
- KMBZ-AM 980
- KBEA-AM 1480
- The Kansas City Star (www.kansascity.com)
- work with the director of Information Services to place electronic messages
on the campus email systems.
- work with the Webmaster to place electronic messages on the university's Web site.
- activate the text messaging alert system (Textcaster)