Marshall Coach Jack Lengyel to Speak Jan. 29
Contact: Mike Greife
WARRENSBURG, MO (Jan. 20, 2009) –Legendary Marshall University football coach Jack Lengyel will be the keynote speaker for a week of events promoting student leadership and involvement on the UCM campus.
The IMPACT Student Leadership Organization at UCM is sponsoring the week of events, planned for Jan. 26-29. Lengyel will speak at 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, in Hendricks Hall. His presentation is free and open to the public.
Lengyel was named the head coach of the Marshall University Thundering Herd football team from 1971 to 1974. He accepted the seemingly impossible task of rebuilding the team after the tragic plane crash that killed nearly all of the team and coaching staff in 1970. The inspiring story of Lengyel and the Thundering Herd was the subject of the 2006 film “We Are Marshall,” with Matthew McConaughey portraying Lengyel in the leading role.
Additional events planned by IMPACT include:
- Team-building events from noon to 1 p.m.in the Elliott Union atrium and Greek Informational Night 7-8 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26
- The film “We Are Marshall” will be shown, free of charge, at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 27, in Elliott Union 236, sponsored by the Spotlight student activities organization.
- A Winter Pep Rally at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 28, in the Elliott Union Atrium, followed by Mules and Jennies basketball at 5:30 p.m. in the Multipurpose Building.
- A presentation on the leadership process at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, in Elliott Union 237B.
- The annual Blood Drive, conducted in conjunction with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, is planned for Jan. 27-28 in the Elliott Union.
IMPACT Student Leadership focuses on Infusing Multicultural Pride, Awareness and Connections into Training. IMPACT hosts an annual leadership retreat for incoming freshman students in addition to other leadership programs.
For more information about IMPACT or Lengyel’s presentation, contact Kiley Moody at 660-543-4005.