Tickets Now Available for MLK Freedom Scholarship Dinner
Contact: Mike Greife
Tickets are now available for the annual Freedom Scholarship Dinner, the highlight of UCM's 2009 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration. The Freedom Scholarship Dinner is scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 20 at 6:30 p.m. in the Elliott Union Ballroom.
Christopher Gardner Will Be Keynote Speaker
Keynote speaker for the event will be Christopher Gardner - author, entrepreneur and philanthropist. Gardner told his story of conquering seemingly insurmountable challenges to achieve success in the business world in his best-selling book, The Pursuit of Happyness. The book became the inspiration for the 2006 movie of the same name, starring Will Smith as Gardner.
Proceeds Fund Annual Freedom Scholarships
The proceeds from the scholarship dinner are the primary source of funding for the Freedom Scholarships. These are awarded annually by UCM to high school seniors from the Kansas City area and Johnson County, MO who plan to attend UCM, as well as current UCM students, enhancing the opportunities for all recipients to continue their college educations.
Corporate Sponsorships Also Available
Individual tickets for the dinner may be purchased at the gold level for $100, the silver level for $75, or the bronze level for $50 by contacting the Office of Community Engagement, Elliott Union 224, at 660-543-4156, or from the Greater Warrensburg Area Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center, 100 S. Holden, at 660-543-3168. Tables of eight for the dinner are also available for purchase at the gold, silver and bronze levels by contacting the same office. A portion of the ticket price is tax deductible. Corporate sponsorship opportunities also are available by contacting the UCM Office of Corporate Relations at 660-543-4475.
Variety of Events Planned
The Freedom Scholarship Dinner is the culmination of a month of events planned to celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Additional events include:
- The annual MLK Community Service Awards Luncheon, hosted jointly by the Greater Warrensburg Area Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center and UCM, on Wednesday, Jan. 14, at the White Rose Pavilion. Tickets are available from the chamber office at 660-747-3168.
- The MLK Issues Forum is planned for Thursday, Jan. 15, in the Elliott Union, free of charge.
- The film, The Pursuit of Happyness, will be shown at 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Jan 15-16, in the Elliott Union Ballroom, also free of charge.
- A community ecumenical worship service is planned for Sunday, Jan. 18 at the First United Methodist Church of Warrensburg.
- The annual Gospel Concert is planned for 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 19, in UCM's Hendricks Hall, free of charge. UCM students who will spend the day in community service as part of MLK-A Day On, Not a Day Off, also will be recognized.
- The MLK Celebration Blood Drive is planned for Jan. 27-28 in the Elliott Union.