Board Approves Contract for Shuttle Bus Service to UCM Summit Center
Contact: Jeff Murphy
WARRENSBURG, MO (July 23, 2014) – During its meeting July 21, the University of Central Missouri Board of Governors approved the award of a nine-month contract to Apple Bus Company to help improve student transportation from Warrensburg to the UCM Summit Center in Lee’s Summit.
The contract for the period of Aug. 19, 2014 to May 9, 2015 will provide use of three buses for the upcoming academic year at an estimated cost of $465,438. The shuttle bus service will be funded through a combination of student rider fees, international student fees, and revenue from an increase in tuition receipts during 2013-2014.
The university considered the shuttle bus service as a way to improve transportation for a growing number of UCM students who are traveling to the UCM Summit Center to participate in programs such as computer science, computer information systems, and information technology. Many of these riders are international students who do not have personal vehicles.
According to information presented to the board by John Merrigan, vice president of finance, and
Deborah Curtis, provost and chief learning officer, the university expects anywhere from 150 to 200 students to ride shuttle buses weekdays between the peak times of 7:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Buses will run only when classes are in session during the fall and spring. The following is a proposed schedule of departure and arrival times:
- Depart Warrensburg at 7:30 a.m. Monday through Friday
- Depart Warrensburg at 9:30 a.m. Monday through Friday
- Depart Warrensburg at 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday
- Depart Lee’ Summit at 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Depart Warrensburg at 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Depart Lee’s Summit at 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Depart Lee’s Summit at 9:15 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Depart Warrensburg at 7 a.m. Saturday
- Depart Lee’s Summit at 5:15 p.m. Saturday
The Warrensburg pick-up location is at Lot 29 near the James C. Kirkpatrick Library, and the drop-off location is the main entrance on the north side of the UCM Summit Center.