UCM Hosts Day of Learning About Global Sustainability
Contact Mike Greife
WARRENSBURG, MO (Feb. 10, 2010) – UCM joins educational institutions across the county as they host the local event for the National Teach-In on Global Warming Solutions from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 15, in the Elliott Union.
Keynote sessions include a legislative forum, “Green Democracy: Senator, Do You Recycle?” from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Elliott Union 238. Missouri State Representatives Jason Kander and Jason Holsman will lead the discussion about challenges facing city and state governments regarding recycling, green buildings and other sustainable initiatives.
A Green Business Forum, planned for 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in Elliott Union 238, will allow local and area green businesses to explain sustainable projects currently underway. A Green Business Showcase planned for the same time in the Elliott Union Atrium will offer these businesses the opportunity to provide displays about their green business activities.
A variety of speakers will conduct breakout sessions throughout the day beginning at 9 a.m. in the Elliott Union. Topics include:
- Living Large in a Small Space
- Food, Inc. – Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
- Food and Sustainability – Home Gardening, the New World Food Source?
- Go Green With Industrial Fuel
- Business Case for Green Buildings and Improved Air Quality
- Know Thyself: A Journey into Human Environment Relationship Dynamics
- Alternative Fossil Fuels
- Will Hurricanes and Other Natural Disaster Get Worse?
- What the Worst That Can Happen? – Global Warming
- How to Reduce Your Personal Carbon Footprint
- Making Your Business Green and Sustainable
- Sustainability and Environmental Issues
- Chill Out: Your Health and Our Environment
- Building with Nature: Green Architecture
- Sustainability Trends in Art and Design
- Recycling at UCM and in Warrensburg
- Sustainable Practices with Our Riverine Resources
- Green Business and Sustainability
- Are My Clothes Green?
- Farmed Fish vs. Wild Fish: Implications of a Growing Agricultural Commodity
- “Too Hot To Handle” – Showing of the original HBO documentary
All events are free and open to the public. For more information on the UCM National Teach-In on Global Warming Solutions, contact Manny Abarca, UCM recycling coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.