| Contact: Department of Nursing
University of Central Missouri
Warrenburg, MO 64093
Office: UHC 103
Phone: 660-543-8546 FAX: 660-543-8304
Allison Norwood, EdD; MSN; BSN; RN-C
Assistant Professor Norwood has been a member of Central Missouri’s faculty since Aug 2001.
EdD, Education Leadership and Policy Analysis, University Missouri-Columbia
MSN, Nursing Administration, University of Texas, Austin, Texas
BSN, University of Missouri-Columbia
Allison teaches health and wellness issues in lifespan development, women’s health, and fundamentals of nursing at the undergraduate level. Current graduate level teaching includes advanced technology inclusion in nursing education.
Her clinical focus is in maternal-child nursing with a specific areas in health promotion, in-hospital care, and family education. She had national certifications in perinatal nursing, childbirth education, and international certification as a lactation consultant. Specific student projects have included infant massage and telehealth and e-health studies.
Allison is interested in research on leadership, mentoring, nursing leadership, patient advocacy, nursing education for childbearing families, and technology use in nursing education. Her most recent publications and presentations include:
- Norwood, A. W. (2007). Assessing Perceptions of Nursing Students in Political Action to Promote Advocacy. Paper presentation [juried selection] at Texas Campus Compact and the University of Texas at Austin’s National Conference on Civic Engagement.
- Norwood, A. W. (2006). Nursing Students in Political Action to Promote Advocacy. Paper and poster [juried selection] presentation at The 2006 Assessment Institute in Indianapolis
- Norwood, A. W. (2006). Assessing Professional Valuing Behaviors in Nursing Students. Poster presentation at University of Central Missouri.
- Norwood, A. W. & Winters, J. P. (2005, May). Online Nursing Student Counseling for Smoking Cessation. Poster [juried] session presented at the American Association of Colleges of Nursing conference, Advancing the Nurse Faculty Role, in Scottsdale, AZ
- Winters, J. M., Kiger, A., Steiglitz, K, Ward-Smith, M, Norwood, A. (2004). Providing Teaching and Learning Experiences Using a Telehealth Program: Online Smoking Cessation for College Students by College Students, Mountain Rise
- Norwood, A. W. (2003). Health information and the web. Health CHILD care, 6:5. Available at: http://www.Healthychild.net/Articles/HY35internet.html
- Norwood, Allison W. 2002. Breastfeeding and Healthy People. The Missouri Nurse, Summer: 12 –13.
Allison is active in professional nursing organizations including The Missouri Nurses Association (MONA), Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nursing, International Lactation Consultants Association, Sigma Theta Tau, Phi Kappa Phi, and Missouri League for Nursing.
Current involvement in the university community including Faculty Senate at the university level. At the college level Allison is involved in Curriculum committee, and Promotion and Tenure committee. Committee involvement at the department level include curriculum, promotion and tenure, graduate council, library resources, admission and progression, and faculty advisor for the Student Nursing Organization (SNO).