Office of Technology
Google Groups allows for management of mailing lists and provides services for communication and collaboration with Group Members.
Specific features include:
- Directory Listing of Groups: Group managers can determine if a Group is visible to the UCM Group Directory. Groups are always listed in "auto-fill" (when you type in a person's name and it finds addresses matching that name) and can not be removed from it.
- Group Role Management: Group Managers can moderate messages, specify who replies are sent to, activate a group's discussion archive, and allow users outside of UCM to participate.
- Membership Management: UCM members can easily manage their group memberships, choosing from full email, abridged email, digest email, or no email. Members can also unsubscribe from any group.
- Discussion Archives: All messages sent to a group can be viewed on a discussion page. This allows members access to important past communications. Members may also post directly to the discussion page if enabled.
- Group and Message Search: Users can quickly find existing public groups. Group managers have the ability to make their groups private or public.
- Size and Message Limitations: By default, messages can be up to 25 MB in size, including attachments. There is no limit on the number of posts a user can send a day to a group; however, email sending limits still apply. These settings may be adjusted lower by group owners.
How to Use Google Groups
Google Groups at UCM can be accessed by clicking the Groups link at the top-left of the screen once you have logged into Google Apps.