- Degree Programs
- Student Organizations
- Political Science Handbook
- Political Science Newsletter
- Faculty & Staff
- Faculty Research
- Speaker Series
- Politics & Social Justice Week
- International Studies Major
- Career Opportunities
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Visited UCM
Students for Political Action (SPA)
President, Students for Political Action
Who we are: Students for Political Action is a bipartisan organization who's goal is to develop interest in politics among students at University of Central Missouri.
What we do: Students for Political Action is in charge of one of the biggest events on campus called Politics and Social Justice Week (PSJW). PSJW occurs every spring semester, during the final week of April. It is SPA's job to assist in organizing the week, advertising, raising the funds for speakers, and introducing the speakers. It is an extremely exciting week for the entire UCM community. In addition to PSJW, SPA also assists in organizing other speakers to come to UCM to inform the collegiate community of how current hot button issues are being handled. SPA also gives students the opportunity to network through meeting different people and traveling to different places. In the past, SPA has organized trips to Jefferson City for the day and assist in voter registration drives.
When we meet: SPA meets every other Thursday at 4pm in Wood 204-D, the political science conference room.
Who to contact for more information: If you are interested in joining our organization or have additional questions, please email Mackenzie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our executive board:
David Rogers- Vice President
Josh Dineen- Treasure
Weston Herman - Secretary
What is SPA?
SPA is a social organization open to students of all majors at UCM. As stated in its constitution, its purpose is "to unite those interested in the area of political science through selected programs activities and to promote interest in politics among students at Central Missouri State University" (now University of Central Missouri).
Become a member
Any student with a GPA of 2.0 or greater may be a member of SPA. Active members must pay dues ($5/year) and attend regular meetings.
- Individual and team knowledge bowls
- Sponsoring guest speakers such as Charles Collins, a candidate for the Reform party's presidential nomination
- Voter registration drives
- Open discussions on controversial issues such as racial profiling, the death penalty, and gay marriages.
- Picnic at Cave Hollow in the fall and a social at El Vaquero's in the spring
- This year SPA has planned several discussions on controversial issues, a team and individual knowledge bowl, and an end of semester social. The dates and specifics of these events will be posted as available. Interested students are encouraged to attend.
How do I Find out About SPA's Activities?
Upcoming activities are usually posted in the Wood Building and any of our officers would be happy to tell you about them.