- Degree Programs
- Student Organizations
- Political Science Handbook
- Political Science Newsletter
- Faculty & Staff
- Faculty Research
- Speaker Series
- Politics & Social Justice Week
- International Studies Major
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Visited UCM
Students for Political Action (SPA)
What is SPA?
PSSA is a social organization open to students of all majors at UCM. As stated in its constitution, its purpose is "to unite those interested in the area of political science through selected programs activities and to promote interest in politics among students at Central Missouri State University" (now University of Central Missouri).
Become a member
Any student with a GPA of 2.0 or greater may be a member of PSSA. Active members must pay dues ($5/year) and attend regular meetings.
What Does SPA Do?
SPA usually meets every other Wednesday around 3:30 p.m.. It sponsors a variety of activities throughout the year.
- Individual and team knowledge bowls
- Sponsoring guest speakers such as Charles Collins, a candidate for the Reform party's presidential nomination
- Voter registration drives
- Open discussions on controversial issues such as racial profiling, the death penalty, and gay marriages.
- Picnic at Cave Hollow in the fall and a social at El Vaquero's in the spring
- This year SPA has planned several discussions on controversial issues, a team and individual knowledge bowl, and an end of semester social. The dates and specifics of these events will be posted as available. Interested students are encouraged to attend.
How do I Find out About SPA's Activities?
Upcoming activities are usually posted in the Wood Building. SPA can also be contacted via email at email@example.com. In addition, any of our officers would be happy to tell you about upcoming activities.