Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content




Academic Affairs / Provost

Administration 203
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4116





ACADEMIC COUNCIL

Academic Council
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
3:30 pm. - Chairs
4:00 pm - Provost, Deans, and Other Administrative
Union 240

The Academic Council functions as the primary organizational group for department chairs and deans. The Council functions in an advisory capacity to the Provost/Chief Learning Officer for Academic Affairs. The Council recommends actions to the Provost who either responds or directs the recommendations to the proper person or organization within the university governance structure. These recommendations will indicate the Council's majority opinion on an issue or a call for action. The recommendations will be in writing and will contain the appropriate individual or group to receive the recommendation.

I. Approval of Minutes from August 12, 2014
● Motion to approve Dawna Butterfield
● Seconded by Pat Antrim
● Unanimously approved.

II. Department Chair Discussion (Chairs only 3:30-4:00)
A. Chair compensation

(Provost, Deans and other Administrative 4:00-5:00)

III. Questions regarding written reports
No written reports were submitted.

IV. Information Items
A. Self-Paced Blackboard Training for students (Mike Jeffries)--distributed to AC for feedback
● Send your feedback to Mike directly. He will report later in the year.

B. IRB (Janice Putnam)
● Principles for ethical research: Respect for person, Beneficence, Justice
● CITI training is what UCM uses - students get certificate after completing training, training is free and looks good on a resume.
● Not all research has to be reviewed by IRB, only research that identifies people or information about people.
● People who have research proposals can come to the IRB face-to-face meetings.
● IRB is now on a Blackboard community site. Students and faculty can enroll themselves.
● Information on meeting dates and Blackboard enrollment can be found at http://www.ucmo.edu/graduate/human/
● Students are naive about research, so try to steer students away from high risk populations.
● Online research can be appropriate for many non vulnerable populations.
● The average number of days for approval : Exempt 14, Expedited 21, Full 30
● Faculty members should think about the time it takes for research to be conducted when assigning projects in class.
● Suggestion for faculty to get approval for an umbrella study.
● IRB has not yet decided if they will meet regularly during the summer.

C. Multi-state Collaborative (Mike Grelle)
● National effort to find a process to collect national data for intellectual skills.
● Not every state is participating yet, but more than 12 states are included at this point.
● Three areas of interest are written communication, quantitative reasoning, and critical thinking.
● UCM offered to be a part of that study.
● The study needs written samples of student work.
● If such an assignment does not exist in the current syllabus, don’t add an assignment, but this is for existing assignments that may be helpful for the study.
● Should be an individual’s assignment, not a group project.
● The student writing sample does not need to include all three area of interest, but at least one of those areas.
● Send writing samples to Ashley Guyer at guyer@ucmo.edu.

C. Professional Development Opportunities (Melissa Wilson)
● Survey conducted last winter about professional development.
● Many people didn’t know when sessions were offered, they couldn’t attend, or they didn’t know how or where to ask for help.
● UCM now has membership with two professional development Websites.
○ Magna Commons' training portal is http://www.magnapubs.com/magna-commons/. Faculty and Staff can request access here: https://docs.google.com/a/ucmo.edu/forms/d/1iiJTxz_7RTDifZWNRrL6IFqh_Kzs9YfY8dPr2HvuvK0/viewform?usp=send_form.
○ Academic Impressions: AI Pro's training portal is https://events-na2.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/791869002/en/events/catalog.html?folder-id=889201787. Faculty and Staff can request access here: https://docs.google.com/a/ucmo.edu/forms/d/1DGeK32L1nvOCsn3qvqhNsdILhRD1Le1kvAESLIiVpAY/viewform?usp=send_form.
● The Center for Teaching and Learning is working with the Graduate School to create one location for all travel funding, but they are still in discussion regarding the technology of such a system.
● All grants are now reimbursed to the department (the same as what the Graduate School has been doing), which requires departments to request reimbursement, but eliminates the need to send copies of documents.

D. Faculty Research Day Changes (Melissa Wilson)
● Last year, UCM did not hold Faculty Research Day, because the number of papers to review was dwindling, it was hard to find reviewers, and there was not much participation.
● Reasons to Believe Showcase was held instead last year and had much more support.
● Is there a way to combine?
● Don’t want to leave any groups out, but want to raise participation.
● Suggestions discussed:
○ Invite students who are researching.
○ Combine with Central Scholars Symposium
● Melissa would like your suggestions.

E. Policy and Procedures Audit (Provost)
● UCM is working with Hush Blackwell to look at all areas of UCM policy and procedure.
● HLC did not cite us on this topic, but it was one of their strong recommendations.
● Hush Blackwell will engage in audit this fall and make recommendations.
● Title 9 policy will be reviewed first, followed by intellectual property.
● Goal is early October.
● Want faculty senate to be engaged in the process.
● Hush Blackwell has worked with over 140 universities.
● They are advocates for being very specific in language. Gray policies put individuals and the university at risk.

V. Discussion Items
A. Performance Indicators/Dashboard (Provost/Skip Crooker)
● All areas, not just academic affairs, should have metrics and standards.
● Data warehouse was started last spring and it will provide a clearer picture of revenue and expenses.
● Financial data takes time to be processed, because it must be audited before it can be used for many purposes.
● Previously, data could not be gathered until the end of a cycle, but this new system will allow Chairs to access data at any time. If the cycle is incomplete, that will be indicated in the section.
● Reports now show that Departments generate no revenue, so this new system will show a more accurate pictures of where revenue is generated and where costs accrue.
● Data could be used to help determine if another faculty line is necessary.
● Credit should not be based solely on majors, because many departments offer many gen eds.
● The old program most valued departments that had a balance of gen eds and majors.
● Questions raised:
○ How quickly do Chairs need data?
○ How will undeclared majors be categorized?
● Provost would like the academic departments to get the credit that is due to them for generating revenue.
● Keep in mind, that other areas (buildings, grounds, etc.) will still need funds, even though they do not produce revenue. Departments will have to pay for services that they use.
● Under this model, there will be no more carry forward and no or reduced revenue share, because there is no need for revenue share.
● Chairs would like to be included in this discussion.

B. Student Drop Information to Chairs (Betsy Kreisel)
● Betsy offered to send information to department chairs about majors within each department who withdraw from the University.
● General support was voiced by chairs to receive the withdraw information.
● The reports would have no indication of why the majors withdrew or their GPA information.
● If students withdraw in person, we can have some indication or why, but if they withdraw online, we have no indication.
● A request was made to receive information about students that leave a department by changing major, but that information would come from a different source, so more communication is needed to make that happen.

VI. Action Item

VII. Future Agenda Items
A. Composition and charge of APRC
B. Admission standards, enrollment targets, and quality of students (October)
C. International student enrollment
1. Has there been a discussion about strategic recruiting from different
geographic regions? (Joseph Lewandowski)
2. Limited employment on campus (Shari Bax)

D. Data Warehouse - Dr. Skip Crooker
● General update
● How should requests for data be submitted?
● How is retention tracked? Are there data that show retention from semester to semester in a program?
E. OP pay parity

Thank you to Gersham Nelson and the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences for providing the snacks and refreshments for our meeting today


MEETING SCHEDULE
Schedule for 2014-2015
October 14 2014 3:30 WDE 2020
November 11 2014 3:30 WDE 2020
December 9 2014 3:30 Union 237A
January 13 2015 3:30 Union 237B
February 10 2015 3:30 Union 237B
March 10 2015 3:30 Union 238
April 14 2015 3:30 Union 237B
May 12 2015 3:00 * Union 237A
June 9 2015 3:00 * WDE 2401