Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content




Academic Affairs / Provost

Administration 203
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4116





December Meeting Minutes

Provost Council Meeting
December 11, 2014

Minutes

The following were present: Deborah Curtis, Mike Grelle, Shari Bax, Betsy Kreisel, Jim Graham, Gersham Nelson, Roger Best, Mike Wright, Alice Greife, Tina Church-Hockett, Mollie Dinwiddie, Joseph Lewandowski, Laurel Hogue, Alan Zabriskie, Janice Putnam, Corey Bowman, Teri Bowman, Shellie Hewitt, and Debbie Combs.

Information Items
None were given.

Minutes
The minutes were accepted as distributed.

Report Items
SLT Update: Dr. Curtis reported that SLT’s main focus is on the Strategic Resource Allocation Model process.
Faculty Senate: Dr. Zabriskie said most of the last meeting was focused on the faculty classification document. Some concerns were expressed so two faculty forums will be held in January for additional discussions. The Senate hopes to vote on this proposal the end of January. The Senate also reviewed several options by the Committee on Committees. Any matters that would have been handled by the Ethics in Research Committee will now be addressed by the University Research Council.

Discussion Items
Spring Commencement: Corey Bowman distributed a proposal for spring 2015 commencement. This proposal combines undergraduate and graduate ceremonies into one for each college with the exception of the College of Health, Science and Technology. They are too large for one ceremony. The ceremonies will focus more on the graduates and the number of speakers and recognitions will be cut down. The proposed schedule for spring is the College of Health, Science and Technology graduate ceremony will be Friday at 2:30 followed by their undergraduate ceremony at 6:30 p.m. The ROTC Commissioning will be Friday morning at 9:00 a.m. followed by the nurse pinning ceremony at 1:30. Three ceremonies will be scheduled for Saturday. The College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences graduate and undergraduate ceremony at 9:00 a.m., College of Education undergrad and grad at 12:00 pm, and the Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies undergrad and graduate at 3:00 p.m. The ceremonies on Saturday will each last 75-90 minutes so there won’t be much time in between. Decisions need to be made for who will be in the platform parties, music for each ceremony, and readers. A suggestion was made to line the graduates up by degree. Dr. Best thinks faculty would be supportive of this and willing to walk with them. This is an opportunity to highlight colleges. Dr. Curtis thanked everyone for their input. Dr. Bowman asked for a follow up meeting after fall commencement. Dr. Curtis plans to have a decision on this proposal soon.
Office of Technology Updates:
• The Adobe enterprise licensing was just renewed. Dr. Graham said will need input from the academic environment on what to do in the future. They could move to individual licenses or move to Creative Cloud.
• The process is a little behind for multimedia upgrades. They are trying to decide how to make this process better to meet the needs in the classrooms. He asked for input on establishing a process for these upgrades. Dr. Graham will create a call for requests that will go to the deans to get the process started.
• Staff with expertise on Apple devices is being pulled to improve the support on campus. They are also looking at a suite of products for Apple devices that will do the same as Windows devices.
• Blackboard is being hit hard during finals. No problems have been reported. Dr. Graham formed a review team to look at options for making sure UCM is getting value out of what is being done. Their first meeting has been scheduled.
• The deployment of Apple TVs is being standardized so when requests are received there is a plan in place to address issues.
• The Office of Technology is experiencing challenges with what are classified as technology purchases. They are becoming engaged in things they shouldn’t be. More information will be forthcoming on this item in the spring semester.
• Requests continue being received for academic servers. There are challenges supporting them. Dr. Graham said at some point there needs to be conversations on what OT will support but yet meet needs. He will meet with either the Council of Deans or individually with the deans for further discussions on this matter.
• There is a Blackboard mobile app which is free. OT is in the process of signing up for this and notice will be put on UCM Daily when it is available.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary