Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content



Academic Affairs / Provost

Administration 203
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4116





January Meeting Minutes


Provost Council Meeting
January 10, 2013
Martin 128

Minutes

The following were present: Dr. Deborah Curtis, Dr. Shari Bax, Dr. Rick Sluder, Dr. Jim Graham, Dean Gersham Nelson, Dean Roger Best, Dean Mike Wright, Dr. Lynn Alkire (for Dean Alice Greife), Dean Mollie Dinwiddie, Dr. Joy Stevenson, Ms. Cheryl Riley, Mr. Sam Hafley, Ms. Lori Dake, Dr. Lisa Runyan, and Ms. Debbie Combs.

Information Items
• Dr. Sluder reminded members of the upcoming Martin Luther King Scholarship Dinner on January 22, 2013.
• Dr. Sluder announced a Noel Levitz training session on February 5 in Overland Park, Ks. Provost Curtis has offered to pay the registration fee for two people from UCM to attend the session. He asked members to send him nominations.

Minutes
The minutes were accepted as distributed.

Report Items
Strategic Leadership Team: Dr. Curtis announced that Chris Wellman is leaving UCM and Chris Bamman will be filling that position on an interim basis. President Ambrose is trying to find a facility to lease for the Missouri Innovation Campus (MIC). Black & Veach, KCP&L, and Burns and McDonald have come on board for the MIC project. Dr. Curtis met with representatives from Pittsburg State University at CSC. They toured the facility. PSU has a similar facility in Overland Park, KS. But it is less developed than CSC. Dr. Curtis announced that Rick Staisloff will be on campus this month and will make a presentation at the January Board of Governors meeting.
Faculty Senate: Ms. Riley sent a report out to members in advance.
Retention Planning Update: Dr. Sluder had nothing new to report.

Discussion Items
Campus Wide Chemical Inventory: Ms. Dake said every institution is required by the Department of Natural Resources to do a chemical inventory so they are developing a database to roll out to the campus for that purpose. Each building will have a designated person responsible for completing the inventory and maintaining it.
Centralized Software Acquisitions Review Board: Dean Dinwiddie stated the purpose of this review board is to work with issues involved with the cost and purchase of software on campus. They feel campus-wide technology planning is needed. Funding for software comes from various pockets of money on campus. The funds currently available barely cover the cost of renewals and upgrades. Provost Curtis plans to reconvene the Information Technology Policy Council and charge the Academic Technology Advisory Committee with reviewing the way the student tech fees are being used.
Adobe Funding: Dr. Graham reported the cost for Adobe is $66,700 per year for the next three years and approximately $20,000-22,000 of the cost this year will need to be reallocated back to individual budgets. They will use a percentage breakout to determine how much departments will pay.
Closing Times for Final Exams: Dr. Bax reported some students are faced with late fees for textbook returns because their online finals don’t close until midnight on Friday or even on Sunday. This causes problems for the bookstore because they have to do an inventory on the books as soon as the semester ends to ensure they have an adequate supply for the upcoming semester. The deans agreed to a standard policy of closing finals no later than 5:00 pm on Friday. Dr. Curtis will send a message out to faculty to inform them all finals must be given according to the finals schedule and they must close no later than 5:00 pm on Friday. Dr. Curtis stated she wants a review of student evaluations conducted because the return has fallen off the last few years since submission went online. She asked for a copy of the original document from the ad hoc committee when this process was developed. Dr. Bax will discuss this with the SGA. Dr. Curtis offered to attend one of their meetings to express the importance of the evaluations.
DFW Reports: Dr. Sluder distributed a report listing fall courses with a 30% or higher DFW rate which had at least 20 students enrolled. Provost Curtis would like faculty to see this list and have an open discussion on this issue.
Probation, Suspension, & Dismissal Reports: Dr. Sluder distributed a report and noted the number is down compared to this time last year.
Wait List Follow-Up: Good feedback was received from the discussion on wait lists at the recent Academic Council meeting on ways to improve the process. Students sometimes forget they are on a wait list as they don’t hear anything about it until they are either automatically enrolled in the class or receive an email informing them they didn’t get into the class. The wait list does a lot of work for the advisors. Some students are sitting on wait lists and will never get into a class because they are already enrolled in the maximum number of hours.
Calendar Issues: Dr. Curtis stated clarification on the start of the fall semester is needed so that information can be distributed to the campus. New Faculty Orientation will be Monday through Thursday with Thursday being designated as a day for them to work on their syllabi with the assistance of the NFO Committee and technology staff. Friday of that week and Monday of the following week will be Plan Days. The convocation will continue being held on Monday.

Other
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary

 

Provost Council Meeting
January 24, 2013
Martin 128

Minutes

The following were present: Dr. Deborah Curtis, Dr. Mike Grelle, Dr. Shari Bax, Dr. Rick Sluder, Ms. Melissa Jones (for Dr. Jim Graham), Dean Gersham Nelson, Dr. Betsy Kreisel (for Dean Roger Best), Dean Mike Wright, Dean Alice Greife, Dean Joe Vaughn, Dean Mollie Dinwiddie, Dean Joseph Lewandowski, Dr. Joy Stevenson, Dr. Brian Hughes (for Dr. Art Rennels), Ms. Glenda Goetz, Mr. Patrick Streck, Ms. Melissa Wilson, Dr. Corey Bowman, and Ms. Debbie Combs.

Information Items
• Dr. Sluder reminded members of the upcoming Noel Levitz training session on February 5 in Overland Park, Ks. He has one person going and would like to send others. This session is for retention and recruitment.
• Dr. Sluder said the Education Advisory Board’s student success session has been scheduled for March 5. This will be an all-day event with different sessions throughout the day. Dr. Sluder will confirm this date with the Education Advisory Board consultant and then send a confirmation out to members.
• Dr. Grelle reported Skip Crooker is meeting with all data centers on campus to specifically define where people should go to request data. He will distribute that information to campus once he is finished.
• Dr. Bax reported the American Democracy Project is working with the English Department to determine what will be used for the one-book program for students enrolled in English 1020 and 1030. She told members if they have suggestions to please send them to Dr. Phong.

Minutes
The minutes were accepted as distributed.

Report Items
Strategic Leadership Team: Dr. Curtis reported they have been focusing on performance based funding.
Faculty Senate: Dr. Hughes reported a motion passed regarding domestic partnerships for insurance purposes and will be going forward to President Ambrose.
Retention Planning Update: Dr. Sluder distributed a report on early student success indicators and reviewed the document. The number of courses on the DFW list is down and students on probation, suspended and dismissed are down as well. Retention for freshmen students is flat which is good because it was down.

Discussion Items
Upcoming CTL Events: Melissa Wilson distributed information on upcoming events. The first one is a four part webinar series for department chairs. CTL will post the live webinar and also purchase the DVDs for those unable to watch live. She is looking for qualified readers for the Spring Faculty Research Day. Dr. Grelle asked deans to encourage their faculty to submit papers for that event. Ms. Wilson asked for suggestions for the Faculty Fellows Summer Seminar. Last year the event was canceled due to a lack of interest. She asked for suggestions on topics to be offered and ways to recruit faculty to attend. They are looking for broad based topics for first-year faculty or faculty that have been here a long time.
Preparing for Fall 2013 Learning Communities: Mr. Streck asked if members want to continue with learning communities for fall 2013 and if so, how should they be organized? He added the composition of the communities and faculty involvement are the key factors and there needs to be a university commitment. The deans have been discussing this and a proposal will be emerging soon on this item. Members agreed to move ahead with learning communities for fall 2013.
Update on Early Alert System Changes for Spring 2013: Dr. Bowman reported MAXIENT was brought online to address judicial issues and last semester they tested the early alert component. They were able to identify students at mid-term that were at high risk. Faculty have one screen where they can report judicial issues, early alerts, and disciplinary issues. If an early alert is submitted, it goes to Patrick Streck who will process the alert. He sends a notice to the student and gets a confirmation when the student opens the alert. Members agreed to start using the early alert system. Meetings will be scheduled with faculty and this item will also be discussed at an upcoming Academic Council meeting. Dr. Curtis asked Dr. Bowman and Mr. Streck to come back to a Provost Council meeting the end of February to give an update on this item.
Internships: Dr. Grelle is trying to address issues that might be a red flag for the HLC accreditation process and one of those is internships. He would like to have a standard process with basic elements in that defines criteria for internships. This needs to include a time component and relevance to the major. Dr. Curtis formed a group with Amber Goreham as the chair to work on guidelines for internships. She wants the associate deans and faculty coordinators to be involved in this project as well as Mike Grelle. Melissa Jones stated the Office of Technology has been asked to create a system for the coordination of internships.
Gen Ed Course Capacities Review: Dr. Sluder distributed a summary of gen ed enrollments for the current semester and thanked the deans for adding seats that were needed.
Future Planning & Exploring for Gen Ed Needs: Dr. Sluder distributed an informational document for students enrolled in English 1030 that shows approximately 60% of the seats are filled with freshmen.

Other
Dr. Curtis and Dr. Grelle have discussed the diversity of opinions on UCM’s statewide mission. Documentation states it is professional applied science and technology. Dr. Grelle has been asked what programs we offer that fall into the professional applied science and technology area. He asked the deans to send him a list of programs in each college so they may be designated in the catalog. Dr. Greife will provide the original list so that it can be updated.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary