Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content



Academic Affairs / Provost

Administration 203
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4116





June Meeting Minutes

Provost Council Meeting
June 13, 2013
Martin 128

Minutes

The following were present: Dr. Deborah Curtis, Dr. Shari, Bax, Dr. Rick Sluder, Dr. Jim Graham, Dean Gersham Nelson, Ms. Jean Nuernberger (for Dean Roger Best), Dean Mike Wright, Dean Alice Greife, Dean Joe Vaughn, Dean Mollie Dinwiddie, Dean Joseph Lewandowski, Ms. Cheryl Riley, Dr. Skip Crooker, Mr. Rick Dixon, Ms. Cheryl Trelow, Mr. Mike Jeffries, Ms. Robin Terrell, and Ms. Debbie Combs.

Information Items
No information items were given.

Minutes
The minutes were accepted as distributed.

Report Items
Strategic Leadership Team: Dr. Curtis reported they recently had a day and a half work session and mainly discussed KPIs and signature programs.
Faculty Senate Update: Ms. Riley said there is nothing new to report. They continue working on committee charges. The executive committee along with APRC will hear a report on signature programs on June 17.
Retention Planning Update: Dr. Sluder reported a suggestion was made to break the planning report into separate items in order to focus on the objectives and for the development of the implementation plan.

Discussion Items
Affordable Care Act Issues: Rick Dixon reported this act is effective January 1, 2014 and will impact the health plan in many ways. There is a 30 hour rule which states you are eligible for health benefits if you work 30 hours or more per week. Mr. Dixon and Ms. Trelow suggested that adjuncts be hired for no more than nine hours per semester. One credit hour equates to three of work time per week so 9 hours would equate to 27 work hours per week. If an adjunct were to teach 12 hours in the fall, they would be eligible for health insurance. Grad assistants are not exempt from this and will be limited to teaching six hours because that will equate to 18 hours of work time. That would leave them two hours per week for office hours or other duties. Regular part-time employees will go from being .75 positions to either .5 part-time or .80 full-time. Students are exempted from the health care act. Ms. Trelow suggested instead of hiring students as temps in the summer that departments hire two student employees and work each of them 20 hours if 40 hours of coverage is needed. People who receive one-time payments and are not full time faculty or staff are another issue. There is not a mechanism for tracking the number of hours they work. If the person claims to work 30 hours or more a week, the Department of Labor will side with them rather than the university. Ms. Trelow encouraged people to issue one time payments for anyone other than full time faculty or staff.
Blackboard Retention Center: Mike Jeffries distributed a handout (attached) and them provided a demo of the retention center. A suggestion was made for Mr. Jeffries to make this same presentation at college meetings. Dr. Curtis plans to ask the deans to begin focusing on faculty with high Ds and Fs and if those students received mid-term grades. The Blackboard Retention Center provides an opportunity to make a difference in those students’ lives.
Faculty Student Retention Work Group Update: Dr. Lewandowski stated this group spent last semester discussing what can to be done to improve retention for first-time freshmen. Suggestions were made. Skip Crooker provided a lot of data for the discussions. Dr. Lewandowski said the work of this group is ongoing. They will continue their work in the fall under the guidance of Kathy Leicht, Gen Ed Coordinator.
Windows Surface Pro: This product runs Windows 8 on tablets used at UCM. There is a stylus that does handwriting, it runs Microsoft Office, and there is a flash drive. They are more costly than iPads and they come with docking stations. Dr. Graham’s area purchased a Surface Pro device and Dell’s competitor to test out. He wants to make sure the products will work with the network. People have money leftover in their budgets and want to order these devices. Dr. Curtis asked the deans to monitor these purchases.
Student Success Committee Report and Next Steps: Dr. Sluder reported the Education Advisory Board representatives will be on campus July 11.
NISE Program Completion: Dr. Curtis asked the deans to encourage new faculty to complete the program.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary

Provost Council Meeting
June 27, 2013
Martin 128

Minutes

The following were present: Dr. Deborah Curtis, Dr. Richard Sluder, Dr. Jim Graham, Dr. Mick Luehrman (for Dean Gersham Nelson), Dean Roger Best, Dean Mike Wright, Dean Alice Greife, Dean Joe Vaughn, Dean Mollie Dinwiddie, Dean Joseph Lewandowski, Dr. Alan Zabriskie, Mr. Ken Schueller, and Ms. Debbie Combs.

Information Items
Dr. Curtis told members she just returned from an Education Advisory Board meeting for Provosts. There were 25 provosts in attendance and they are all in the process of identifying pilot programs at their universities.

Minutes
The minutes were accepted as presented.

Report Items
SLT Update: Dr. Curtis said the signature programs have been identified and that information will be shared soon. They will be moving forward with using those programs for mentoring and marketing somce they will be the focus for growing and expanding. Dr. Graham said Dr. Tracy Espy, Provost at Pfeiffer University, attended the last SLT meeting. Jason Drummond gave an update from the Foundation Office. Technology and the mixed use facility were also discussed and a communications update was provided.
Faculty Senate Update: Dr. Zabriskie expressed his appreciation to Provost Curtis for the update she provided to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee on the signature programs.
Retention Planning Update: Dr. Sluder reported he has taken the report and separated items out into a matrix per discussion at a recent Provost Council meeting. He hopes to have the matrix completed by the next Provost Council meeting.

Discussion Items
Degree Works Start Up & Notes Availability: Dr. Sluder said they are in the process of putting notes up in a test system for Terri Bowman and Laura Miller to try. They hope to have it available by the beginning of the fall semester. Dr. Curtis warned that people need to be cautious on what they put in the notes. Dean Greife asked for additional information on the student planner piece and how faculty can use that feature. Dr. Sluder suggested inviting Terri Bowman to an upcoming Provost Council meeting to give an overview and answer questions on Degree Works. Dr. Graham confirmed that the notes are visible to students.
Role of Deans & Chairs to Support New Faculty Professional Development Through NICE: Dr. Curtis asked the deans to assure that chairs expect new faculty to complete the entire new faculty orientation program.
DFW Reports for Spring 2013/Summary for Past Eight Semesters: Dr. Sluder distributed the information electronically prior to the meeting. He will send the information to Academic Council too.
EAB Implementation Planning: Dr. Sluder reported representatives from the Education Advisory Board will return to campus July 11th for a session with the advisors. They hope to finalize the pilot programs success markers. Dr. Sluder expects information on these markers soon from EAB and will distribute it to the deans. He asked them to send feedback to Erin at EAB with a copy to him. Dr. Curtis stated she hopes to eventually get to the point where we have our own trainers for this program and asked the deans to be thinking of advisors in their colleges that could serve in that role. She wants to develop our own talent. Dr. Sluder asked the deans to look at the pages of the EAB document where they address advising action plans and let him know if anything looks out of order or needs to be looked at closer. Erin sent instructions to the pilot programs advisors for completing the learning module and they need to be completed by July 11. The non-pilot programs have not had success markers identified.

Other
Dr. Graham reported that Windows XP support ends April 2014. Microsoft will no longer provide support at that time. He also reported they have a list of systems that have been identified that will work with the UCM network and systems not on that list will be disconnected.

A brief discussion was held on how students will be verified that qualify for the Contract for Completion Scholarship. The tracking mechanism has not been finalized. The first appeal has been received from a student that graduated high school early and began at UCM in spring 2013. Dr. Sluder will reconvene the group to look at these issues.

Dean Dinwiddie reported the Academic Software Funding Committee sent a call out for software requests. Recommendations have been received and submitted to Provost Curtis and each person has been notified of the decision made.

Dr. Sluder reminded members of the upcoming orientation on Saturday, June 29, and the Fall Prep Meeting, on July 10 from 2:30-4:00 in Union 236.

Dr. Sluder distributed information on the Summit on Access, Persistence, and Completion on Tuesday, September 10, 2013. There are 25 free spots for the UCM campus community to participate.

Ken Schueller announced the Office of Career Services has moved to Ward Edwards 1200.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary