Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content




Academic Affairs / Provost

Administration 203
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4116





September Meeting Minutes

Provost Council Meeting
September 12, 2013
Martin 128

Minutes

The following were present: Dr. Deborah Curtis, Dr. Mike Grelle, Dr. Shari Bax, Dr. Rick Sluder, Dr. Jim Graham, Dean Gersham Nelson, Dean Roger Best, Dean Mike Wright, Dr. Doug Koch (for Dean Alice Greife), Dean Joe Vaughn, Dean Mollie Dinwiddie, Ms. Traci Butler (for Dean Joseph Lewandowski), Dr. Alan Zabriskie, Mr. Ken Schueller, and Ms. Debbie Combs.

Information Items
Dr. Sluder thanked members for their efforts in the turnout for Summit for Access and Persistence. 35-40 people attended which shows a clear commitment to support the initiative.

Minutes
The minutes were accepted as distributed.

Report Items
Strategic Leadership Team: Dr. Curtis announced there have been some changes to the structure of SLT since the arrival of Mike Racy. More information sharing is taking place and she may ask for snippets of information from members to share at upcoming meetings. All SLT members have to share information. Dr. Curtis reported things are on track for the mixed use facility. General Services will move out in the spring which will be followed by demolition of the building. The new facility should open fall of 2014. When asked for an update on the Central Summit Center and Missouri Innovation Campus Dr. Curtis said the current lease at CSC expires in 2015. CSC and MIC will share a facility and the owners of the building where CSC is currently located are working hard to get UCM to stay because there is additional space available.
Faculty Senate: Dr. Zabriskie expressed his appreciation for being included in the Summit for Access and Persistence. He added it is important for faculty to get a more global sense of student interaction. There is one motion on the agenda for the next Faculty Senate meeting and it is the Learning to a Greater Degree recommendation that faculty be required to take attendance and that all faculty submit mid-term grades. This motion covers all undergrad, graduate, and online classes. An ad hoc committee has been formed to look at faculty load and compensation and they will meet for the first time in the next week or so.
Retention Planning Update: Dr. Sluder stated he will be meeting with the deans soon regarding the Student Success Committee. He distributed copies of the draft agenda for the EAB Go Live session. He asked the deans to let him know how many will be attending the session from each college so they have adequate space. EAB will be identifying leaders on campus they intend to develop as our own resource people.

Discussion Items
Accreditation Pool to Fund Visits: Dr. Curtis asked about developing a pooled fund of money for accreditation visits by specifying some carry forward dollars for this purpose. After some discussion Dr. Curtis said she would like to organize the carry forward dollars with labels tied to them so the information is more visible so people can see what the money is earmarked for. Dr. Curtis will develop a template for this purpose and distribute it. She asked the deans to look at the template and send her suggestions for changes. A similar template could be created for equipment. The purpose of carry forwards needs to be illustrated.
Campus Electronic Storage: Dr. Graham said they have discussed this in the Office of Technology. They have distributed the amount of storage that is available. There is a budget to maintain the current amount of storage but not to expand it. If there is a need for additional storage for academic purposes, they need to be made aware. A couple of departments have purchased their own servers/storage. More Cloud based storage can also be considered but it would be a little more costly. Dr. Graham said they need to be engaging in conversations to see how to provide some of these things because some programs have a higher need for storage and they want to provide the space for the academic environment.
Windows XP: The Office of Technology has been moving to Windows 7 but have no intention of moving to Windows 8 on desktops. There are approximately 60 systems on campus still running Windows XP and the support for that system expires in April 2014. If a student logs on to a laptop running Windows XP, they will be locked out. Students need to be informed.
Office 2013: Dr. Graham said this is out there and they have received some requests to install it in some labs. They are in the process of validating the install package because he knows it needs to be released all over campus. So far they have not seen anything that should be a problem.
Google Calendar Access: Dr. Curtis asked members to set their Google calendar settings so it shows if they are busy or available for scheduling purposes. Dr. Graham offered assistance from his area if anyone needs it.

Other
Dean Nelson asked Dr. Graham how the dedicated college techs are working out. He responded by saying some positive things have occurred but he would like to have a conversation with the deans about this. They will invite him to an upcoming Council of Deans meeting.

Dr. Vaughn announced that Laurel Hogue has completed both her written and oral comps and is now ABD.

Dr. Sluder reported this semester reflects the highest number of average hours per student since this data has been tracked. The focus has been on 15 to finish and the right 15 hours.

Dr. Sluder said there has been an influx of students enrolled in the computer science program at CSC. Dr. Vaughn provided funds for ad additional computer lab. Everyone is committed to this site and he is working closely with Joe Vaughn. Enrollment at that site has increased by 755 students. International students have contributed to a large part of that increase.

Dr. Grelle suggested that there needs to be some sort of program for the International students when they arrive in August because they have nothing to do until classes begin. Dr. Curtis stated some churches provide meals for them during that time.

Dr. Grelle reported that shortly after the HLC visit in March there will be an annual gateway course experience conference for students in high risk courses. He suggested that some faculty be identified to attend the conference and asked the deans to think about it. Dr. Curtis said the Provost Office will cover the cost of their attendance.
Dr. Grelle reported some of the most frequent complaints received are about data. He asked if there is a need for a defined process for reviewing data. Dr. Graham suggested a data dictionary.

Dr. Graham stated they have been engaged in a conference call with Blackboard regarding the collaboration of data from Banner to Blackboard. UCM is not the only institution with this request.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary

Provost Council Meeting
September 26, 2013
Martin 128

Minutes

The following were present: Deborah Curtis, Mike Grelle, Shari Bax, Rick Sluder, Gersham Nelson, Roger Best, Mike Wright, Alice Greife, Mollie Dinwiddie, Joseph Lewandowski, Alan Zabriskie, Ken Schueller, Mike Racy, Paul Wilson (New York Times), and Debbie Combs.

Information Items
Paul Wilson told members the Student Government Association has a newspaper rack in the Union for The New York Times. He said faculty need to register on their website because there are approximately 36 blogs that would be of interest to faculty, staff and students. Sources offered by this publication are under-utilized. Mike Grelle asked the deans to speak to their faculty to incorporate this information into their teaching.

Minutes
No corrections were made to the minutes so Dr. Curtis declared them approved.

Report Items
SLT: Mike Racy gave the update since he is now facilitating the work of the SLT. Mr. Racy said one of his goals is to spend time enhancing and improving communication and do more information sharing at the SLT meetings. Another goal is for greater collaboration among members of the SLT and to create opportunities to bring groups together to work on strategic initiatives. He said there will be opportunities for each college dean to attend an SLT meeting to share information about their colleges.
Faculty Senate Update: Dr. Zabriskie reported the Senate met on September 18th and the main item discussed was the motion regarding faculty taking attendance and submitting mid-term grades. Nothing was resolved and the motion was split into two motions. The mid-term grades motion will be discussed at the next Senate meeting. The Faculty Senate Executive Committee met on September 25 and they are unified in getting the mid-term grades motion passed.
Retention Planning Update: Dr. Sluder reported the EAB system is live and encouraged members to go into the system. He recently met with Provost Curtis and the academic deans to talk about the Student Success Committee. He plans to get the committee back together to take a snapshot of where they are and then refine the group into a smaller group that is strategic oriented.

Discussion Items
Account Holds for Not Taking the GEA: Dr. Grelle stated holds are put on student accounts that have not taken the GEA test. This is to prevent students from pre-enrolling for the following semester. The hold is then removed and students have figured this out. This past spring there were over 1200 students that needed to take the test. Students are required to take the test after completing 45 hours. Dr. Grelle would like to change the policy so the hold is not removed. After additional discussion on when gen ed courses are taken Dr. Grelle stated he will gather additional information and report back to this group at a later time.
MIC Health Care Partners Meeting: Dr. Curtis reported she, Stan Elliott, Alice Greife, Julie Clawson and Elaine Metcalfe met with some of the health care partners in a brainstorming meeting to discuss future programs to be offered at MIC. They decided nursing is not a model that should be offered. There or shortages of surgical techs, obstetrics techs, and people that sterilize and package the instruments. Students with this type of hands on experiences become better nurses. Clinical experiences are beneficial for a future in nursing. Another area being considered for the MIC is computer science.
Staisloff Work: Dr. Curtis stated the Education Advisory Board has a Bill and Melinda Gates Grant and are inviting some institutions to participate in a project on financial drivers to student success. Dr. Curtis talked to Rick Staisloff and told him she would like to finish up filling out the framework he is working on. She then wants to set that aside and work with the EAB on this project. There is no additional expense required to participate in this project and she added that once you work with Gates money it sometimes leads to more Gates money.
Dashboard Committee on October 11: Dr. Curtis announced this group will meet on October 11 and will start with the framework Skip Crooker has created. Her plans are to start with a simple dashboard and have an in-service for the department chairs so they get comfortable with using it.
Professors Breakfast with the President and Provost: Dr. Curtis reported that she and President Ambrose had a discussion last spring about getting different groups of faculty together to thank them for their work. September 27 is the first event for full professors. Additional breakfasts have been planned for the other faculty ranks.


Paul Rorvig Service-Saturday in Columbia, MO: Dr. Curtis announced that Dr. Rorvig’s service will be this Saturday, September 28, in Columbia, Missouri.

Other
Dr. Sluder announced pre-enrollment begins soon and distributed information on projections for gen ed courses needed in the spring.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary