Missouri Safety Center
- ATV Safety Course
- Commercial Motor Vehicle/CDL
- Crash Reconstruction/ Investigation
- Defensive Driving
- Driver Education
- Driver Improvement Program (DIP)
- Ignition Interlock Device Program
- Instructor Development Course
- Law Enforcement
- Missouri Motorcycle Safety Program (MMSP)
- School Bus Safety
About the Missouri Safety Center
The Commission on Higher Education in collaboration with the Governor's Traffic Safety Coordinating Committee established the Missouri Safety Center on July 1, 1967. The Center is an organization, dedicated to injury prevention specifically in the area of highway and traffic safety. It draws together State and local agencies, business and industry, safety professionals, University personnel and the public-at-large in efforts to reduce deaths and injuries on Missouri’s highways. Center activities include programs of instruction, research, publications, public information, as well as, conferences and special services. It utilizes a staff of specialists offering programs including but not limited to; beginner and advanced driver education, breath alcohol instrument training and maintenance, commercial vehicle license examiner training, crash investigation and reconstruction, motorcycle safety, pupil transportation, sobriety checkpoint supervision, standard field sobriety testing, traffic safety observational surveys and several other courses and services. The Center is also an approved provider for the Missouri Department of Public Safety’s, Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) program.
“To promote safety in Missouri and the Nation, the Missouri Safety Center strives to prevent injury and death through technology transfer, instruction, research, and public service.” The Missouri Safety Center's mission is supported by the University of Central Missouri's administration, the State Legislature, and a wide variety of clientele from business, industry and government entities and by the daily communication with our diverse clientele.
Role and Purpose
The Missouri Safety Center is an organization dedicated to injury prevention specifically in the area of highway and traffic safety. It draws together a variety of resources in a common effort that serves state and local agencies, business, industry, safety professionals, University personnel and the public-at-large. It utilizes a staff of specialists and the services of the University to provide leadership and a unified program in injury prevention. Center activities include programs of instruction, research, publications, public information, as well as, conferences and special services.
- Coordinate with Missouri’s state and local agencies, professional organizations and business and industry professionals to meet their safety awareness and training needs, as well as other public safety issues.
- Expand the number of safety programs offered and the diversity of target populations served to meet changing safety needs and to remain in the forefront of safety technology.
- Encourage Center staff to maintain close working relationships with safety professionals and safety organizations and agencies to develop more responsive safety programming.
- Promote interdisciplinary activities with other University faculty, staff, and students in grant and research activities, safety training programs, and other cooperative initiatives.
MSC Impact Study
Click picture for PDF
The Missouri Safety Center continues to promote partnerships with federal, state, and local agencies, safety advocate groups, civic organizations, business & industry, and other professional organizations.