Zey, Dr. John N.
Professor of Industrial Hygiene
Certification: Certified in the comprehensive practice of Industrial Hygiene (CP 3072), by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene, Akron, OH. Re-Certification is 1991, 1997, 2003 & 2008.
- EdD-Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis. University of Missouri – Columbia, 2010.
- MS-Industrial Hygiene, Univeristy of Central Missouri, 1976.
- BS-Biology (Minor in Chemistry), University of Central Missouri, 1975.
Classes regularly taught:
- AE 1400 (Freshmen Academic Enrichment)
- Safe 2010, Safety: A Societal and Personal Focus
- Safe 3120, Industrial Hygiene
- ICAP 4115 (Capstone Course), Safety & Health Management
- Safe 4160, Industrial Ventilation
- Safe 4910 Special Projects – High Hazard industries
From 1976 -1996, John was a Commissioned Officer in the United States Public Health Service. He was assigned to the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH). In NIOSH, he conducted industry-wide studies evaluating employee health outcomes from exposure to cotton dust, acrylonitrile, and asphalt fumes. The study of acrylonitrile exposure was a collaborative study between NIOSH and the National Cancer Institute. John also conducted 55 health hazard evaluations assessing potential employee exposure to a variety of chemicals including coal dust, lead, arsenic and sulfur dioxide. From 1992 -1996, John worked in NIOSH’s training division where he served as a training grants officer for universities receiving training grant funds and he also developed and served as course director for three NIOSH short courses.
Areas of Interests:
Field sampler variability, Program Assessment,IH Based Retrospective Exposure Assessment, Training program effectiveness, Ethics in Occupational Safety and Health
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene
- Commissioned Officers Association
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Meritorious Service Award. ACGIH presented their national award to the current and former members of the Hazard Evaluation and Technical Assistance Branch (HETAB), NIOSH. Presented at the American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exhibit in San Diego, CA June 2002.
- Communication & Training Methods committee selected as an outstanding technical committee by AIHA (2003 & 2004).
- A Variety of US Public Health Service awards including Four Unit Commendation awards, One Public Health Service Citation and one Achievement award.
Publications: 90 since 1978, examples include:
- Boraiko, C, Zey, JN, Greife, AL. Academic Program Assessment – A Value-Added Activity for Industrial Hygiene and Safety Programs? Professional Safety. American Socity of Safety Engineers. Accpted for publication. Pub date is August 2010.
- Luiza, Y., Zey, JN. Handling, Storage, and Disposal of Hazardous Chemicals in High Schools. Journal of the McNair Scholars Program. University of Central Missouri. Warrensburg, MO. Fall 2009.
- Zey JN, Leong, DKN, Popov G, Isle SDA, Ferguson LT & Palassis J. Regulation Compliance, Standard Methods and Guidelines for Workplace Air Sampling and Analysis of Chemical Contaminants. July 2009. ACGIH. ACGIH, Cincinnati, OH.
- Popov G, Popov, T, Zey JN, & Ferguson L. Confined Space Testing. ACGIH May 2008. Cincinnati, OH.
- Povov G, Popov T, & Zey JN. Aspects of Terrorism: Threat and Use of Toxic Chemical Substances. The Journal of The Institute of Justice & Intern. Studies. Issue 8, 2008. Institute of Justice & International Studies. University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, MO.
- Zey JN, Boraiko C. Assessing Academic Programs: Roundtable Explores Key Issue for 21st Century OHS Programs. The Synergist. June/July, 2007(18)6:53-54.
- Zey JN, Greife AL, Blunt LA, Womble L, Laster D. General Studies Courses in Safety: Adding New Life to Academic OSH Programs. The Educator, A technical publication of ASSE’s Academics Practice Specialty. Vol 6, No. 2, 2007
- Blunt, LA, Zey, JN. Mock Accidents Challenge Skills of Safety Students. Fall 2006. The Journal of Safety, Health and Environmental Research.
- Zey, JN. IAQ Ventilation: What Everyone Should Know. Third Annual Indoor Environments Conference. October 5-6, 2005. Hosted by The Indoor Environmental Coalition of Kansas City. Available on DVD from the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Zey, JN, Ferguson, L, Laster D. Effective Program Assessment for an Industrial Hygiene Academic Program: What is and isn’t Program Assessment. Best Assessment Processes VII.
- Zey JN. History of Occupational Safety and Health: The Building Blocks For The Practice Of Industrial Hygiene In The 21st Century. The Synergist (On-Line) May/June 2003:14(56). https://www.aiha.org/membersonly/Publications/html.
- Zey JN, Stewart PA, Hornung R, et. al. Evaluation of Side-By-Side Pairs Of Acrylonitrile Personal Air Samples Collected Using Different Sampling Techniques. Appl. Enviro. Occup. Hyg., 17(2):88-95 (2002).
- Zey JN. Government and women in IH. Speak Out Column. The Synergist. Volume 13, number 5. Pages 60 & 70. May 2002.
- Zey J, Saran C. Merging Computer Technologies into a Traditional Ergonomics Lecture Course. In Proceeding Of The International Conference On Computer-Aided Ergonomics & Safety. July 2001. Maui, Hawaii.
- Palassis J, Bryant C, Zey JN. Detector Tubes, Direct-Reading Passive Badges, and Dosimeters Tubes (Chapter 17). In: Air Sampling Instruments. 9th Ed. ACGIH. 2001
- Stewart PA, Zaebst D, Zey JN, Herrick RF, Dosemeci M, Hornung R, Bloom T, Pottern L, Miller B, Blair A. Exposure Assessment for a Study of Workers Exposed to Acrylonitrile. Scand J of Work, Environ Health. 24 Suppl 2:42-53, 1998.
- Stewart PA, Zey JN, Hornung R, Herrick RF, Dosemeci M, Zaebst D, Pottern L. Exposure Assessment for a Study of Workers Exposed to Acrylonitrile. III. Evaluation of Exposure Assessment Methods. Appl. Enviro. Occup. Hyg., 11(11)1312-21 (1996).
- Zey JN, Mortimer V, Elliott L. Ethylene Oxide Exposures to Hospital Workers From Poor Ventilation Design. Appl. Enviro. Occup. Hyg., 9(9)633-641 (1994).
- Engelberg AL, Piacitelli GM, Petersen M, Zey JN, Piccirillo R, Morey PR, Carlson ML, Merchant JA. Medical and Industrial Hygiene Characterization of the Cotton Waste Utilization Industry. Amer Journal of Ind Med, 7:93-108, 1985.
- Zey JN, Piacitelli GM, Jones WG. Characterization of airborne Cotton Dust Concentrations in the Non-Textile Cotton Industry. American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 45(8):538-46, 1984.
- Carlson M, Merchant J, Zey JN. Respiratory Disorders and Dust Exposures Among United States Cotton Gin Workers. In: Occupational Lung Disorders, Raven Press, New York, New York, l
- Zey JN. Cotton Industry Surveys Conducted by NIOSH. In: Annals of the ACGIH, Vol 2, pgs 37- 44, Agricultural Respiratory Hazards. Cincinnati, Ohio, 1982.
Presentations: 85 since 1982, examples include:
- Zey, JN, Greife, AL, Blunt LA, Iske A, Popov G. Using A Team Approach To Infuse Research Skills Into Undergraduate OSHE Programs. Safe-2009. June 29-30, 2009. San Antonio, Texas.
- Zey JN. Overview of the Department of Safety Sciences, Industrial Hygiene Program. April 14, 2009. Mid-America Chapter (AIHA) Monthly Meeting. Lees Summit, MO.
- Zey, JN., Blunt, LA, Greife, AL. General Study Courses In Safety: Adding New Life (and Students) To Academic OSHE Programs. Poster Presentation. Safe-2008. June 10-12, 2008. Las Vegas, NV.
- Prince, J, Zey, JN. Admission Requirements of Industrial Hygiene Masters of Science Programs in the US. Poster Presentation. Safe-2008. June 10-12, 2008. Las Vegas, NV.
- Woolery, J., Zey, JN. Aircraft Accidents and Their Safety Hazard. Poster Presentation. Safe-2008. June 10-12, 2008. Las Vegas, NV.
- Zey, JN. A Research Project Designed To Use Program Assessment To Improve The Educational Quality Of An Academic Program in Industrial Hygiene. SRCEA Meeting. Kansas City, MO. November 2, 2007.
- Zey, JN. Using Membership Directories of Professional Organizations to Evaluate Academic Programs. AIHCE. Philadelphia, PA. June 2-7, 2007.
- Zey, JN. Mock Accident Scenarios. Team Presentation with Leigh Ann Blunt and Larry Womble at the Ozark Safety Conference. Branson, MO. October 12, 2006
- Zey JN. Ferguson L. Recent Disasters Emphasize Importance of Practitioner Skills for OSH Professionals. AIHCE. Chicago, Illinois. May 17-19, 2006
- Zey, JN. Misconceptions of School Building Occupants on the Risk from Potential Hazards in School Buildings. AIHCE. Chicago, Illinois. May 17-19, 2006
- Zey, JN (2005). IAQ Ventilation: What Everyone Should Know. Healthy Indoor Environments Conference. Kansas City, KS, October 13, 2005
- Zey, J.N. (2005). Development of Effective OSH Academic Program Assessment: Trails & Tribulations of a Flexible Practitioners Program. AIHCE. May 23-27, Anaheim, CA.
- Zey, JN., Ferguson, L., Laster, D. Effective Program Assessment for an Industrial Hygiene Academic Program: What is and isn’t Program Assessment. Best Assessment Processes VII. Rose Hullman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, Indiana. April 8-9, 2005.
- Zey J. A modest proposal to reduce injuries and fatalities on the job. Steps To a Healthier Workplace. Washington, DC. October 26-28, 2004.
- Zey, J. Safety Science’s Industrial Hygiene Program: Current Problems & Planning for the Future. Mid-America Chapter of the AIHA. KC, MO. April, 2004.
- Zey J. The History of Occupational Safety and Health: The Building Blocks for the Practice of Industrial Hygiene in the 21st Century. AIHCE. Dallas, Texas. May 13, 2003
- Zey JN. Stewart PA, Hornung R. Evaluation of Side-By-Side Pairs Of Acrylonitrile Personal Air Samples Collected Using Different Sampling Techniques. AIHC&E. San Diego, CA. June 2002.
- Zey J, Saran C. Merging Computer Technologies Into A Traditional Ergonomics Lecture Course. International Conf On Computer-Aided Ergonomics & Safety. July 2001. Maui, HI.
- Zey JN, Frank O, Bryant D. Extended Campus Occupational Safety & Health Programs - A Method For Universities To Better Serve The Needs Of Working Occupational Safety & Health Professionals. AIHC&E. New Orleans, LA. June 7, 2001.
- Greife A, Zey J, Blunt L, Ferguson F: Evaluating Student Competencies using Exit Examinations for Occupational Safety and Health Undergraduate and Graduate Students. American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition, Poster Presentation, New Orleans, June 2001.
- Zey JN. Highs and Lows of Teaching Via Interactive Television. TechEd Chicago. Chicago, IL. October 18, 2000.
- Zey JN. If I Had Known Then What I Know Now, What Would I Have Done Differently. Retirement Seminar. Commissioned Officers Association - Cincinnati Branch. Cincinnati, Ohio. June 14, 2000.
- Zey JN. Occupational Safety & Health Training for Small Businesses. Safety Conference, Printing Industry Association of the Heartland. Kansas City, Missouri. January 26, 1999.
- Zey JN, Hayes B, Colligan M. The NIOSH Small Business Train The Trainer Program. American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exhibit. Washington, D.C. May 18-24, 1996.
- Zey JN, Votaw AL. Mercury Exposure From Vacuuming a Dental Office. Environmental Health and Engineering Proceedings: 25th Annual Meeting of the U.S. Public Health Service Professional Assoc. Anchorage, Alaska, June 3-6, 1990.
Fax: 660 543-8142
E-Mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org