Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content



Next SSC Meeting

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:00 am in Union 308

 

Fall Support Staff Newsletter

 

 



Support Staff Council

President: Annette Charles
Vice President: Barb Hicks
Treasurer: Alice Dempsey
Secretary: Tina Walker





June09

June 2009

Support Staff Council

June 9, 2009

1:30 P.M.

Union 109

Attendees: Peggy Harrison, Susan Malott, Kathy Maham, Joyce Stephens, Ginny McTighe, Cindy Merryfield, Tia Milburn, Diana Summers, Dorothy Salsman, Sarah Bailey, Mike Jeffries, Teresa Huffman and Annette Charles

Susan Malott handed out new name cards to all Support Staff Council representatives, alternates, Executive Council members and UCM liaisons.

President Peggy Harrison called the meeting to order and welcomed those in attendance.

Having previously sent out the minutes to be read, Peggy called for any corrections other than those received.  Being none, the minutes were approved as read and submitted.

Kathy Maham, Treasurer, reported the Foundation SSC Educational Award balance is $371.03. The Support Staff Council balance is $448.95 and the Foundation SSC Survival House account balance is $4,152.10.  There were no questions.

Peggy introduced Tia Milburn, the new alternate from Finance and Administration.  Diana Summers has graciously agreed to take the place of Greg Biesemeyer as the representative.

Representing Administrative Liaison Betty Roberts, VP Finance and Administration, Dorothy Salsman, reported they are dealing with typical year-end things - budget, year-end close, auditors.  The ESCO project is on-going and should anyone have any questions or concerns, they should contact Annette McKay at the Physical Plant.  Our new Physical Plant Director, Chris Wellman, will be here on Monday, June 15.  Beth Halsey will be the new Budget Director and Kelvin Mooney will be the new Groundskeeper. Plans are for Sci-Quest to go live in January 2010. The new CMMS (Computerized Management Maintenance System) system will come live with the work order portion on July 1 with the rest of the models to follow over the next 3 months.  Expect work order training to be available in July.

Mike Jeffries, Vice Chairman of the Professional Staff Council and their liaison to the Support Staff Council reported they did not have a meeting in May.

Committee Reports

Peggy had not heard from Bettie Moore’s Conceal and Carry Committee.  There were 5-6 people volunteer but have not met yet to discuss a formal position response from the Support Staff Council in regard to the Conceal and Carry issue.

Support Staff Award. Annette Charles has sent out a survey to gauge the SSC membership’s support for, or against, having a Support Staff Award. As of meeting time, she had 60 responses.  Annette will continue taking survey responses for the rest of this week and possibly next week due to many people being on vacation.  The survey did not have a comment box but those wanting to make comment may contact Annette Charles or Susan Malott.  One of the concerns received is the award is taking away from our support of the Survival Adult Abuse Center. Peggy stated that is not the intention but would be another outlet for us.  If the vote is favorable, Susan Malott will put together a committee and encourages those willing to serve on a Support Staff Award committee to contact her.

Old Business

Susan Malott reported the cost of 3 gallon round tubs of ice cream (any flavor) is $25.  Since we don’t have time to plan for June, Peggy suggested Susan send out an email to see what interest there might be for a July Ice Cream social. Ginny McTighe thought reservations would be good. The Summer Social potluck will be in August. Volunteers for either event can contact Susan Malott.  Watch for details via emails.

New Business

Peggy had received inquiries as to whether the Support Staff Council had any particular initiatives to work on in regard to the betterment of support staff, working conditions, etc. 

Areas of discussion included: benefits for part time staff; release time for presidents and vice presidents of councils; paid volunteer time allowed to fulfill the University’s mission to engage the community and be part of the community.  Susan suggested we see what the Professional Staff Council’s ideas on possible joint initiatives might be before proceeding further.

Peggy will send out an email to request feedback in regard to meeting times.  We know we will not be able to please everyone.

Peggy has submitted the briefing paper and plans to attend the June 18th Board of Governors meeting.

Sarah Bailey announced anyone having questions about the new digital TV broadcasts can come to the DTV clinic at KMOS TV. Additional information can be found at http://www.ucmo.edu/news/kmos.dtvclinics.cfm.

A concern was brought to the council regarding attendance by the elected representatives and alternates. (See Section III of the Support Staff Council Guidelines.)  Peggy appreciates those who call to let her know they are unable to attend and who make sure their alternate is available.

Our monthly SSC drawing was held at the end of the meeting.  A free lunch at Mazzio’s was won by Kathy Maham.  A gold mule head pin was won by Tia Milburn.

The June 2009 meeting of the Support Staff Council was adjourned.

Our next meeting will be July 14, 2009 at 1:30 p.m. in UN 235.

Respectfully submitted:

Joyce M. Stephens

Support Staff Council Secretary