Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content



Next SSC Meeting

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 from 9:00 - 10:00 am in Union 219

The Support Staff Breakfast is Thursday April 10, 2014 in the Union Ballroom.

 


Support Staff Council

President: Barb Hicks
Vice President: Annette Charles
Treasurer: Kimberly Courtwright
Secretary: Tina Walker





april

April 2008

Support Staff Council
4/8/2008

Attendance: Pam Bennett, Debbie Combs, Brenda Dooley, Belva Farnsworth, Peggy Harrison, Kathy Maham, Susan Malott, Ginny McTighe (Alt), Cindy Merryfield, Dean Murphy, Stephanie Myers, Tracy Nichol-Martens (Alt), Tammy Shanks (Alt), Joyce Stephens (Alt), Diana Summers (Alt) and Dr. Betty Roberts.

Guests: Diane Ward, Susie Mysiewicz, Nicolle Schwarten, Sheila Schneider and Estrella Wilson.

Debbie Combs called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m.

Welcome and Introductions

Announcements – Debbie Combs
Susie Pine requested Debbie announce that the Central Missouri Chapter of the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) invite support staff to join them in celebrating Administrative Professionals Day as well as IAAP’s 10th anniversary.  The event date is Monday, April 21, 2008, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. in Union 237B.  The guest speaker will be Kay Enlow, CPS/CAP, past international president of IAAP.

Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the March 11, 2008 meeting were approved with one minor correction.

Treasurer’s Report – Susan Malott
Susan gave account balances: Foundation Survival House $3,562.60, SSC account $1,730.82 (funds to be paid from this account in support of the SS Breakfast), and Foundation Educational Award $552.03.

Solid Gold Awards – Debbie Combs
Debbie presented the Solid Gold Award for March 2008 to:
Nicolle Schwarten, Alumni Relations and Development, nominated by Sarah Thompson of Alumni Relations and Development.

Professional Staff Council Report – Zach Lewis
Zach was not present at the meeting.

Administrative Liaison – Dr. Betty Roberts
-Salaries: $2.7 million has been marked for faculty and staff salaries. This represents an average increase in the range of 4%. The money comes from tuition and fees, state appropriations, and a ½% reallocated from each VP’s base budget.
-Master Plan update: All is going well. The first town meeting was well attended, and there is another coming up in the future. Phase 1 is data gathering and that is about completed. An item that was looked at was UCM traffic. They looked at the amount of pedestrians versus cars on Clark Street, and it was determined that pedestrians represented the larger number. Phase 2 is solidifying the data. The idea is to look ten years out from now and determine what the needs may be based on student enrollment of 14,000 students.
-Update on construction activity: Morrow Garrison will cost about $13 million for renovation and is slated for completion in late summer 2010. The Student Recreation Center will cost about $21 million and is slated for completion in about October 2010.
-Climate survey: Human Resources (HR) is heading up a survey based on what faculty, staff, and students view the social climate to be at UCM. HR will randomly select people for surveys and focus groups in about two weeks. They will address whether the campus community and visitors feel welcome on campus in general and determine how problem areas can be improved.
-The university receives $2 million a year from the state to address infrastructure issues, not to include cosmetic issues. UCM has about $21 million in deferred maintenance to address. Finance is looking at a 10 year capital improvement plan and using the $2 million received per year from the state as payment toward this debt.
-New Food and Facilities contract: The contract is still being evaluated. Outside campus assistance was sought to assist in this endeavor.

Survival Committee Activity – Diane Ward
-The committee met on March 20. It was decided to utilize the current expendable funds to serve the immediate needs of the Survival House. When those funds become depleted, fund raisers and requests for donations will be the next course of action. $2,000 of the current balance has been set aside for the larger emergency needs. These needs would include major repairs/replacement of appliances, furnace, a/c, roof, etc. Since January, the committee has provided: socks for residents, containers of high efficiency laundry detergent (efficiency washers were donated by the Rotary Club), dryer sheets, various cold/flue medications for adults and children, floor cleaner, trash bags, mop, and Easter baskets for the children. Appreciation and thanks is given to Helen Mills and Pam Bennett for providing the Easter baskets. Passes to the Warrensburg Community Center will be bought to allow residents to participate in swimming and other center activities. The committee plans to provide a basket full of pampering items to include gift certificates for facials or massages, to each mother who is in residency on Mother’s Day. The committee stays in frequent contact with the Survival House and responds to their specific need for purchases. Spending on the adopted room in the house is on hold as the Survival House is anticipating a relocation to a new house within the year.
-If anyone is doing spring cleaning and would like to donate items, please visit the house website at http://www.survivalcenter.org/, and click on Our "Immediate Needs" List to see which items are needed. Other suggested items are construction paper, beads, glue, glitter, paint by numbers, crayons, yarn, knitting needles, and crochet needles. Since storage is limited, it is suggested donating clothing items only as the need arises. Please call Gretchen Reynolds or Diane Ward to arrange delivery of your items.
-Gretchen and Diane would like to thank the current committee, past committee members, and the entire support staff for their continued support of this worthy cause.

Support Staff Appreciation Breakfast – Susie Mysiewicz
Susie reminded all meeting attendees of the upcoming Support Staff Breakfast on April 25 from 8:30 – 10:00 with a few words from Dr. Podolefsky around 9:00. She reminded all to submit their on-line RSVP by the 18th. There will be a guessing jar filled with M & M’s, and a dollar is requested for each guess as a donation to the Survival House. Donations of items are being sought for the Silent Auction with proceeds going to the Survival House. Please contact Pam Bennett regarding the value of your item(s) as she will set the beginning bid as she sees fair. Pam must have the items in her possession (at the Health Center) by the 18th of April. Susie will send an email regarding the Support Staff Breakfast soon.

Master Plan Committee Report – Sarah Bailey
Sarah was reported ill and not present at the meeting.

Task Force on Compensation Report – Shelia Schneider
The Governance Groups’ Task Force on Compensation needs input regarding a proposal for salary increases for next fiscal year. The idea is that this year, July 1, the pool of money available for this fiscal year be distributed as follows:
1. The pay scale be raised according the Hay Group recommendation to adjust for market adjustments.
2. Employees’ pay below the minimum of the new scale be increased to the new minimum.
3. The rest of the pool be distributed to bring people closer to the mid-point of the new scale.
There are questions regarding what to do with people who are above the mid-point after the scale is adjusted. Without going in and looking at each person’s wages again, she didn’t know how many support staff people would be above the new mid-point, but didn’t believe it would be many.
-Sheila believes that it will be the task force’s recommendation that merit pay implementation be addressed again in five years, 2013, for support staff and professional staff. Even then, it would only be funded if the market pay was increased by the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
-Sheila also stated that the mid-point range and the market rate are the same amount for support staff.

Election of Officers – Election Committee
-Elections were held and the following individuals will serve as officers for the support staff council beginning May 2008 through April 2009.
President: Stephanie Myers
Vice President: Peggy Harrison
Secretary: Cindy Merryfield
Treasurer: Susan Malott

Other
-Debbie Combs reported that the following people volunteered to be on the bowling fundraiser committee to be held this summer: Cindy Merryfield, Brenda Dooley, Tracy Nichol-Martens, Sarah Craig, Estrella Wilson, Kathy Maham and Ann Davis. Cindy and Kathy volunteered to be co-chairs for the event. Details will be provided regarding this event as they become available.
-Sheila Schneider had some good news as of a recent meeting of the Parking Committee. For now, it has been decided to not increase the current parking fees.

Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 13 at 1:30 in Union 235.