Support Staff Council
Support Staff Council Minutes
August 10, 2010
1:30 P.M. - UN 306
Attendees: Brenda Dooley, Joyce Stephens, Cindy Merryfield, Sarah Bailey, Jo Greife, Peggy Harrison, Ginny McTighe, Betty Roberts, Lisa Schmidt, Bettie Moore, Laurie Delap, Joni Porter and Victoria Swope.
Brenda Dooley, Support Staff Council President, called the August meeting to order and welcomed those attending. Personal introductions were made by those present.
Cindy Merryfield made a motion to approve the minutes of July 13. Sarah Bailey seconded the motion. A voice vote was taken with all in favor.
Joyce Stephens read the Treasurer's report as provided by Diana Summers. The Foundation fund for Survival Adult Abuse Center fund stands at $2,847.40. Expenditure was made on July 28 to reimburse the Center for the purchase and installation of a gas range. The Foundation Educational Award balance is $748.03 and the Support Staff Council account has $1,322.53.
Administrative Liaison Report
Dr. Betty Roberts, Administrative Liaison, reported on the following items:
- Wrought iron fence with stone faced pillars along Maguire Street is coming to fruition.
- Hawkins Hall is coming down and will be a green space but the parking lot will remain.
- Green area is being established at the site of the old power plant.
- Parking lot on the southwest corner of South and Maguire will remain for now.
- ESCO will be wrapping up in October.
- Morrow-Garrison will probably be completed in December and the Student Recreation Center during spring term.
- Enrollment is up.
- Housing is up slightly.
- Budget can be located on-line.
Note: Near the end of Dr. Roberts' presentation, Diane Wirthwein and Kevin Lewis, Einstein Express, brought in samples of product, menus and flyers.
Professional Staff Council Report
Lisa Schmidt, Vice Chairman of the Professional Staff Council, gave us highlights of their July meeting.
- Amy Kiger spoke about the 3-year grant for Alcohol and Drug Education that has been received to benefit the Whiteman and Knob Noster area.
- Discussion was had concerning the installation of Windows 7 on campus.
- Mike Jeffries had asked the Faculty Senate to allow them to go to their meetings and vice versa. When they finally received a response it was yes, you can come to our meetings. It was noted that the Faculty Senate minutes and meeting times are not found on line.
- Professional Staff minutes are to be updated on line better this year.
- The Executive Committee met with the Transition Team and Interim President in July
- Shelly Gonzalez, Policies Office, presented information in regard to her office. Shelly advised all to go on line often to keep up on UCM policies.
- Broke into groups to work on goals which will be posted on their website.
- HR Committee was asked by Jeff Yoder to start the creation of an Early Retirement and Voluntary Separation Incentive Proposal. Representatives from the PSC, SSC, and the Bargaining Unit will be meeting to create a document similar to the one the Faculty Senate prepared.
No one had committee reports at this time.
Joni Porter, a Board member for the Survival Adult Abuse Center, spoke to our question as to whether we should use part of our reserves for support of the Center toward their building campaign or to help in other ways. Joni encouraged us to continue the type of financial help we have been providing since their current facility is very old and in poor condition. Their new facility will probably not be ready for use until sometime in 2012.
It will be a $2 million project and needs to have at least $500,000 pledged in the first year of the campaign. Joni announced they had been notified of the award of a $250,000 grant program.
A future fundraiser being planned is an auction, possibly in November of this year. Joni suggested the SSC might consider purchasing a big ticket item, such as a TV, to donate for auction.
Other topics of discussion included:
- The Fashion Show had a $2,500.00 profit.
- A video to promote the capital campaign has been produced and is on the web site, http://www.survivalcenter.org/.
- On October 2 there will be a live, call-in show on KMOS TV.
A list of 2010-2011 goals, prepared by Cindy Merryfield, was discussed.
- Update website (monthly) to keep current with committee reports, history, activities and events.
- Help provide improved Support Staff customer service across campus which may include:
- The sending out of satisfaction surveys to identify areas in need of improvement each semester.
- Host collaborative professional development by bringing in expert speakers.
- E-flashes – success stories.
3. Maintain collaborative work with other governance groups providing information as requested.
4. Continue to contribute to service projects.
- Support of the Survival Adult Abuse Center
- Conduct a food drive for the Warrensburg Food Pantry
- Encourage support of the Support Staff Educational Award
5. Promote the support staff night at UCM events
6. Sponsor an "electronic" office supply exchange
7. Sponsor a staff appreciation breakfast in April
8. Host "60 minutes with the President" each semester
Final action was not taken on the goals at this time.
Brenda thanked Cindy Merryfield for writing the paragraphs of welcome and about the UCM Support Staff Council for the start of the new academic year.
Support Staff Drawing
Bettie Moore won a Mazzio’s free lunch card.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:40 p.m.
Our next meeting will be September 14, 2010 - 1:30 p.m. – UN 235.
Joyce M. Stephens
Support Staff Council Secretary