Support Staff Council
Support Staff Council (SSC) Minutes
August 14, 2012 at 9 a.m. in JCKL 2305
Attendees: Brenda Dooley, Barb Hicks, Tina Walker, Nancy Gieselman, Joyce Stephens, Ginny McTighe, Keondria McClish, Dr. Rick Sluder, Beth Rutt, Virdia Stevens, Ann Davis and Paula Beck.
Barb Hicks called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone. Each person introduced themselves and noted the area where they work.
June minutes were presented for approval. Ginny McTighe moved to approve the minutes; Brenda Dooley seconded the motion and the motion passed.
Ginny McTighe, Treasurer, reported the SSC general funds account balance is $1987.04 which includes $517.68 for the Support Staff Award, the Education Award balance is $1027.48 which includes $218.00 is for the Support Staff Award, and the Support Staff Council Foundation balance is $2,100.79.
Dr. Rick Sluder, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, gave the following information:
- The President has developed some strategic directions that will help the University move forward with future plans. Some of the plans have or will include 1) reallocations, 2) enrollment growth, 3) student success, 4) moving the Physical Plant and construction of a new building, and 5) forming and maintaining relations (e.g., National Guard).
- The 90 day hiring freeze is still in effect and has saved the University a significant amount on salaries.
- Dr. Sluder mentioned that around 150 students arrived for the success program on Sunday, August 19th. In addition, the International students are already on campus.
- Dr. Sluder noted that the fall enrollment is right on track with the 3% increase predicted.
Professional Staff Council Report
Beth Rutt, Professional Staff Council (PSC) President, provided the following information:
- Beth reported 141 out of 150 success students showed up Sunday, August 19th for check-in. She asked that everyone extend a warm welcome to these students as they tend to get homesick.
- Beth invited anyone who wants to help with Week of Welcome (WOW) to come out Sunday from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. and volunteer. There are many activities available throughout the whole week such as volleyball, ladderball, and rock climbing, only to mention a few.
- Beth stated that Support Staff and Professional Staff will hold a 60 Minutes with the President session toward the end of September or first of October. Once that date gets set they will notify Professional and Support Staff.
- Professional and Support Staff are going to have a standing Community Service committee. Watch for future volunteer opportunities. Some of these may include: food drive in September, coat and boot drive in October, and Thanksgiving dinner for students, faculty and staff (in partner with the Newman Center).
- Nothing from committees at this time.
- Barb noted the meeting dates for the Support Staff meetings were distributed by email and that they will also be posted on the website soon.
- Barb added that the Support Staff committees will be updated on the web as well.
- Support Staff does a great job at welcoming all students. Please make sure that you continue doing that especially helping freshmen find their classes during the first week.
- Barb stated that Dr. Bax has offered Support Staff to give a program of their choice in the residence halls. If anyone is interested, let Barb know and she can forward your name.
- Goals for 2012-13:
- Work with PSC on professional development workshops. If anyone has any ideas please email Michelle Taylor and CC Barb. Dr. Sluder added that there is a variety of support to bring in a guest speaker.
- Work with PSC on service project both on campus and with the Warrensburg community.
- There will be a 60 Minutes with the President for both PSC and SSC. Most questions being asked will be informative to both groups. Support Staff members are to send any questions they would like to have answered to Barb.
- Barb noted that some of the Support Staff has concerns about the Emeriti/Professional Staff retirement dinner. They feel Support Staff and the Bargaining Unit are being left out but should be included. Dr. Sluder asked Barb to have the policy reviewed and then take the suggested changes forward.
- Ginny asked if a harassment policy was being utilized. Beth said it was in place and a copy of it can be found on the Human Resources website.
- Reminder that SSC and PSC will be responsible for the December Community Coffee.
- Barb asked for fund raising ideas. Penny challenge was suggested with benefits going to Habitat for Humanity. Beth added that they will begin putting the walls of the Habitat house up on August 25th. Volunteers 16 years of age and older are welcome.
- Barb explained that the President awarded all FPO employees one paid day off in September or October for all their hard work this summer.
- Nancy gave a friendly reminder that the Library will not be open till 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 22nd for training.
The next meeting will be September 11th, 9:00 a.m. in Union 235.
Brenda moved to adjourn the meeting at 10:14 a.m., Ginny seconded, meeting adjourned.
Respectfully submitted by Tina Walker, SSC Secretary