Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content



Next SSC Meeting

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:00 am in Union 219

 

Fall Support Staff Newsletter

 

 



Support Staff Council

President: Annette Charles
Vice President: Barb Hicks
Treasurer: Alice Dempsey
Secretary: Tina Walker





july09

July 2009

Support Staff Council

July 14, 2009

1:30 P.M.

Union 235

Attendees: Peggy Harrison, Susan Malott, Kathy Maham, Joyce Stephens, Debbie Combs, Cindy Merryfield, Stephanie Myers, Tia Milburn, Bettie Moore, Diana Summers, Dorothy Salsman, Pam Bennett, Tammy Shanks, Mike Jeffries, Teresa Huffman and Mel Gross

President Peggy Harrison called the meeting to order, welcomed those in attendance and introduced Mel Gross from IS (Information Services).

Having previously emailed the June minutes to all Support Staff members, Peggy asked if there were any corrections.  Being none, the minutes were approved as they stand.

Kathy Maham, Treasurer, reported the Foundation SSC Educational Award balance as $400.03. The Foundation SSC Survival House account balance is $3,580.10. Recent transactions for the house included a desktop PC and software, totaling about $650.00. The Support Staff Council account ended the fiscal year with $448.95 of which we will lose 10%.  Questions were asked pertaining to whether the 10% loss was a sure thing and whether Kathy had included the new fiscal year’s appropriation.  Dorothy Salsman verified the President said there were to be no exceptions in the University taking back 10% of fiscal year-end remaining account balances. Kathy confirmed our July 1 balance will be $1,404.06. There were no additional questions.

Dorothy Salsman, representing Administrative Liaison Betty Roberts, VP Finance and Administration, reported:

  • Currently both FY09 and FY10 are open.  It will be about a week before FY09 entries are completed and books closed.
  • Carry-forward will be several weeks yet.
  • A lot of construction is going on.
  • Dorothy confirmed the Administration building had a fire.  They now know the procedure for alert and building evacuation does work.
  • Morrow-Garrison is progressing very quickly now.
  • The ESCO website (http://www.traneucmesco.com/) is up so anyone can check on the dates their building will be affected by the Sustainability@UCM Energy Savings Initiative.
  • The budget book is not ready to go on-line yet. Vice Presidents and Deans will receive hard copies otherwise there is online on-campus access.

Special guest, Mel Gross, Technical Projects Manager from Information Services, introduced herself explaining Peggy had asked her to tell us what she does, give us some updates on upcoming projects and to field any questions we might have.

  • Information Services is made up of four departments.
    • Telecom - Telecommunications
    • MIS - Management Information Systems (Banner and other applications)
    • ITS - Information Technology Services (network servers)
    • US - User Services
  • Mel electronically publishes 3 bulletins per year, Fall, Spring and Summer, for the Department of Information Services. The most recent bulletin can be found at http://www.ucmo.edu/InformationServices/springbulletin.pdf
  • There is a rather large data move coming up soon to move Data II (H and F drives) to new hardware.  Most people will not notice it. However, if you have had your computer remapped manually or are a Mac user, you will need to pay attention to special instructions they will be send out to work you through locating those drives.
  • Make sure you understand where you are storing your data.  Remember the information on your hard drives and laptops are not backed up automatically. The simplest way to operate is to work off of your F and H drives which are backed up daily.
  • Another change coming up will be to shorten the length of time a departing individual’s account is kept in tact. When a faculty or staff member leaves, the supervisor or budget manager will have 30 days to move or copy any data in the account before it is deleted.  Previously, the account was kept active for about 6 months.  Student accounts, currently held for 3 semesters after their last active date, are handled differently and are not affected by this policy change.
  • Novel is considering discontinuing support for GroupWise.  IS is evaluating options and alternatives.  Part of their discussion is how to convert without losing information currently saved in GroupWise folders.
  • Technology support for events is increasing.  IS has published new guidelines and lead times for requesting this support.  Go to ucmo.edu/InformationServices/ click on “Technology Support for Events” in the left hand column for more infor-mation. Make your event a success by booking IS as early as possible.
  • Security. IS has firewalls and intrusion detection systems but every faculty or staff member and student is the first line of defense because we are the ones who hold our passwords. The best advice Mel has heard recently is to treat your password like a toothbrush: don’t share it . . . and change it every 3 months.  Particularly, don’t share your password.  Information services will NEVER ask you for your password. They don’t need it. If you ever have a question about the legitimacy of an email or anything else you get, give the Help Desk a call at 4357, they are available 24/7.

Mike Jeffries, Vice Chairman of the Professional Staff Council (PSC) and liaison to the Support Staff Council, reported on their June 16th meeting.

Melissa Jones volunteered to be the PSC secretary.

  • Goals were discussed and sent out via email for further discussion.
  • A commitment was made to look at information on the PSC website and get it updated.
  • Community engagement and service release time as discussed by the SSC. The PSC felt it is a good idea but had some concerns and details to work out such as time sheet reporting on Banner and how work comp would be affected should a staff member get hurt during the time they are volunteering their service and representing the University.
  • The PSC wants to look at the J P Mees Award to re-evaluate selection criteria and fund raising.
  • The general PSC committee structure and function is also being discussed.

Committee Reports

Support Staff Award.  Susan Malott reported that she, Peggy Harrison, Annette Charles and Susie Pine had met earlier in the day to discuss ideas for a Support Staff Award, modeled after the J P Mees Award, to recognize a support staff member for all they do. Items discussed were type of award, selection criteria and fund raising. A fund in the Foundation would be set up specifically for this award.  Their next meeting will be either Sept 3rd or 10th.  Anyone who has ideas or suggestions can contact Annette Charles, Susie Pine or Susan Malott.

SPRC, Strategic Planning and Resource Council, had not met yet so there was no report from Barb Hicks at this time.

Old Business

Time of SSC meeting.  The current time of 1:30 p.m. seems to be the best time overall.  If you still have a major concern, contact Peggy Harrison.

Peggy Harrison was unable to attend the last UCM Board of Governors meeting so Holly Davenport reported back to Peggy on the portion of the meeting she was able to attend. Among the items presented at the June BOG meeting were:

  • A technology update as it pertains to distance education
  • An intercollegiate athletics report
  • A report on diversity initiatives and community engagement

Peggy had an inquiry on the status of the crisis leave program hours. The report included with the minutes was provided to Peggy by Cheryl Trelow from HR.

No additional questions were raised in regard to old business.

New Business

Support Staff Summer Social - Susan Malott

Susan was only contacted by one person interested in helping with a summer social as an ice cream social or a potluck. Further discussion was held regarding type of social and best time to schedule.  The consensus was the more simple, the more well attended. Tentatively we will have Finger Food Friday and on August 7th.  Individuals are asked to bring snacks to share and school supplies for the Teacher’s Warehouse.  It will be a come and go event between 2 and 4 in the afternoon with the location to be determined.  Cindy Merryfield volunteered to help Susan.  Peggy Harrison will email Mike Jeffries and Holly Davenport to invite the Professional Staff Council to participate.  Please call Susan Malott at 4401 if you would like to help.  Watch for further information.

The meeting was adjourned.

Support Staff Council Drawing (must be present to win)

First name drawn: Pam Bennett - free lunch at Mazzio’s

Second name drawn: Debbie Combs - choice between a UCM pennant, CMSU pennant or a certificate for a free lane of bowling at Cosmo Bowl.

Our next meeting will be August 11, 2009 - 1:30 p.m. - UN 235.

Respectfully submitted:

Joyce M. Stephens

Support Staff Council Secretary

2008 Report - Crisis Leave
Number of Hours Donated:  1st Quarter          176
    2nd Quarter           92
    3rd Quarter         268
    4th Quarter          188
 
Total Hours
724.00
Number of Hours Used: 
259.25
   
Breakdown of giving by Job Code:  Exempt                  23
  Non-Exempt*       12
*includes Bargaining Unit  
   
Several individuals from both groups gave hours in more than one quarter.
   
Breakdown of Recipients: Exempt                    0
  Non-Exempt           3
  Bargaining Unit      1
   
Remaining number of hours:  
464.75
Carry over hours from 2007:
1,315.43
2008 Balance of hours: 
1,780.18