Support Staff Council (SSC) Minutes
June 19, 2012 at 1:30 P.M. in WDE 2200
Attendees: Annette Charles, Brenda Dooley, Barb Hicks, Tina Walker, Nancy Gieselman, Joyce Stephens, Ginny McTighe, Felicia Morley, Dr. Rick Sluder, Beth Rutt, Virdia Stevens, Judy Kenney, Victoria Swope, Susie Pine, Tia Milburn, Jody Ritter, Claudia Welhoff, AnJanell Parsons, Susan Malott, Trish Hubbard, Ann Davis and Ardith Sampson.
Barb Hicks called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone. Each person introduced themselves and noted the area where they work.
May minutes were presented for approval. Felicia Morley moved to approve the minutes with one minor revision; Nancy Gieselman seconded the motion and the motion passed.
Ginny McTighe, Treasurer, reported the SSC general funds account balance is $876.04 which includes $345 for the Support Staff Award, the Education Award balance is $969.48 which includes $218.00 is for the Support Staff Award, and the Support Staff Council Foundation balance is $2,101.29.
Dr. Rick Sluder, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, gave the following information:
- The President’s Cabinet is working on the budget to see how the university can fill the gap from the use of 2 million dollars in one-time only funds. They are reviewing all open positions thoroughly before approving them. They are looking at not filling open positions as one way to save money.
- He thanked everyone that played a role in assisting with the orientations last week. There were approximately 4,000 students and guest on-campus. Next orientation will be June 30th and the last one will be August 3rd.
- President Ambrose is still looking to add additional programs that can be completed entirely through online classes.
- Dr. Sluder mentioned that Whiteman AFB in conjunction with UCM, State Fair Community College, Webster University and Park University are considering an Aero Club to be located at Whiteman AFB. Aviation students and club members could rent airplanes.
- Fall prep meeting is June 27th 10-11:30 in Union 237B.
Professional Staff Council Report
Beth Rutt, Professional Staff Council (PSC) President, provided the following information:
- PSC will meet Thursday, June 28th at 1:30 p.m. in Union 217.
- Beth received a platform document that she would like to share with SSC. She will forward it to Barb Hicks for distribution. The platform document has the mission statement at the top and what is currently happening on campus at the bottom. She feels this would be a good document to use in departments and with assessment.
- Fall freshmen enrollments are strong. In the past, Student Activities has taken 150 students involved in the IMPACT freshmen student leadership retreat to Camp Palestine (located near Chilhowee) for a welcome/get together gathering. This year they already have 172 signed up to participate. She invites all faculty and staff to join them for the campfire on July 25th. Transportation will be provided, leaving campus at 6 p.m. and returning around 9:30 p.m.
- Tobacco Policy Committee – Suggested policy is in President’s office awaiting the return of faculty in the fall.
- New Bank Account for Survival Adult Abuse Center (SAAC) -Barb met with Mary Schreimann in Foundations to discuss the issue of using a foundation account for funds used for the Center. Since the Center is not affiliated with UCM, we cannot use the foundation to earmark funds. There are currently no donors who’ve designated their donation for the Center. Gretchen Reynolds, current committee chair of the SAAC, has been made aware of this change. Future needs will be sent via the listserv or on UCM Daily. Donations from fundraisers will be given directly to SAAC. We need to ensure we publicize Support Staff’s involvement with the Center and other endeavors as widely as possible (UCM Daily, Warrensburg Star Journal, etc.).
- The Executive Committee is implementing a new procedure for expenses requested from the Council budgets. Committee chairs need to complete an Expense Request Voucher (on the SSC website) to request and justify expenses. The form must be completed and sent to Barb 30 days prior to the event. Exceptions to the 30 days may be made for last minute events. No payments/reimbursements will be made without prior approval. All four members of the Executive Committee must approve the document before money can be spent from any budget.
- There have been some concerns about the listserv restrictions for Support Staff. Barb will be working with Beth Rutt (PSC President) to see if they can change some of the restrictions. Barb noted that Classified Ads are for selling items through IDT or if an office needs emergency office supplies. If a council member has a council related item they want posted on UCM Daily or sent via the listserv, it needs to be sent to Barb for approval.
- Support Staff committees are being updated. Once they are complete the new list will be on the website.
- The council has decided to hold the SSC meetings on the second Tuesday of each month at 9:00 a.m. Barb will work on getting rooms for the meetings. No meeting is scheduled for July.
- Susie Pine asked if there was any further talk about 4-ten hour days during the summer. Barb said she hadn’t heard any plans on going that direction. Dr. Sluder stated that it had been tabled at the President’s Cabinet meetings.
The next meeting will be August 14th – at 9:00 a.m. Room is yet to be determined.
Barb Hicks thanked everyone for attending and adjourned the meeting at 2:39 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Tina Walker, SSC Secretary