Support Staff Council
Support Staff Council Minutes
May 11, 2010
1:30 P.M. - UN 235
Attendees: Brenda Dooley, Joyce Stephens, Diana Summers, Pam Bennett, Suzan Brown, Laurie Delap, Jo Greife, Peggy Harrison, Ginny McTighe, Bettie Moore, Betty Roberts, Shelia Schneider, Virdia Stevens, Victoria Swope, Sandy Christ, Ardith Sampson, Michelle Magee, Dave Buell, and Paula Beck.
Brenda Dooley, Support Staff Council President, called the May meeting to order and welcomed those present. Personal introductions were made by those present.
The April minutes were approved.
Diana Summers, Treasurer, reported the Support Staff Council account has $1,715.79. The Survival Adult Abuse Center fund stands at $2,707.83 and the Educational Award balance is $661.03.
Administrative Liaison Report
Dr. Betty Roberts, Administrative Liaison, reported the Sexual Harassment Procedures for the University had been reviewed and approved by the Commission on Women. The President's Cabinet has also accepted the procedures with some minor editorial changes. Going forward, she would like to encourage individuals to view the self-test video to become familiar with what constitutes discrimination and sexual harassment and the procedure to follow when incidents arise.
Other items reported on by Dr. Roberts included:
- The ESCO project is proceeding in good order.
- UCM is a case study for the Clinton Foundation.
- The old power plant will be dismantled starting at the end of May.
- 6 – 42" programmable interactive green screens will be installed at various locations across campus in the August time frame to give us information at the touch of a fingertip as to the current environment in any of the 26 retrofitted buildings. Information and announcements will be available through the green screens.
- The chain link fence along Highway 13 will be replaced with pillars starting this summer.
- Hawkins Hall has been approved for demolition.
- The 2011 budget is going forward with a $3.67 million shortfall being offset with one time dollars, not base dollars.
- The 2012 budget is projected to have a $12-$15 million shortfall.
- Our new president, Dr. Charles M. Ambrose, will be here in August.
Professional Staff Council Report
Mike Jeffries, Vice Chairman of the Professional Staff Council, was unable to attend but submitted a written report.
- Annual Professional Staff appreciation Breakfast was held in April.
- Dr. Brenda Moeder was named this year's JP Mees Distinguished Professional Staff
- The newest PSC members were announced at the breakfast.
- The Next meeting will be on May 20. At that meeting, the new PSC members will be introduced and the 2010-2011 Vice President/President-Elect and secretary will be chosen.
Library Advisory Council
Virdia Stevens reported the Council's work is pretty much through for this year.
Peggy Harrison reported on her follow up efforts to publicize the Outstanding Support Staff Council Award and the Survival Adult Abuse Center Clarence Bailey Award.
Since no one from the Muleskinner came to the breakfast, Peggy contacted Mike Greife of the UCM News Bureau to report Patricia (Trish) Hubbard as the first recipient of the Outstanding Support Staff Award. The news article and picture can be seen at: http://www.ucmo.edu/news/hubbard.supportstaff.cfm
The Clarence Bailey Award is in the display case just down from Taco Bell in the Union. Also on display is information on how the SSC supports the Survival Adult Abuse Center.
Support Staff Drawing
Suzan Brown won a Mazzio’s free lunch card.
Pam Bennett volunteered to be the new SSC Parking Committee representative replacing Shelia Schneider. Their next meeting will be Thursday, May 20, 2 p.m. at Public Safety.
The SSC voted to co-sponsor the December Community Coffee with the Professional Staff Council.
A discussion was had concerning the on-campus food services available to faculty and staff during the summer, winter break and spring break. With his consent, it was decided Dave Buell would be the SSC liaison to meet with Deb Hobson and the group with whom she works.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:10 p.m.
Our next meeting will be June 8, 2010 - 1:30 p.m. – UN 235.
Joyce M. Stephens
Support Staff Council Secretary