Support Staff Council
Support Staff Council Minutes
May 8, 2012 at 1:30 P.M. in Union 229
Attendees: Annette Charles, Brenda Dooley, Barb Hicks, Tina Walker, Nancy Gieselman, Joyce Stephens, Dr. Rick Sluder, Virdia Stevens, Ardith Sampson, Judy Kenney, Victoria Swope, Diana Summers, Susie Pine, Helen Mills, Becky White, Teresa Alewel, and Amber Goreham.
Brenda Dooley, Support Staff President, called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone. Each person introduced themselves and the area where they work.
April minutes were presented for approval. Tina Walker moved to approve the minutes with minor revisions; Barb Hicks seconded the motion and motion passed.
Diana Summers, Treasurer, reported the SSC balance is $1240.54, the Education Award balance is $940.48 of which $218.00 is for the Support Staff Award, and the Survival Adult Abuse Center balance is $2046.29.
Dr. Rick Sluder, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, gave the following information:
- The President’s Cabinet had an external company come to campus to see what areas needed beautification. One area is the south side of Ward Edwards. The funds for these improvements are coming from onetime money.
- Peter Lake, a national consultant on risk management will be on campus to help provide the campus with safer measures.
- Summer enrollment is down by 5%. This could be due to less financial aid available to students. However, fall enrollment is up by 1,000 more students than this time last year.
- Summer Orientations will bring approximately 1,600 more people to campus. Campus visits from October till now have been 4,000 students and 6,000 family and friends totaling 10,000. The deans have requested that 10% more general education seats be added over what was offered last fall.
Professional Staff Council Report
Beth Rutt was not able to attend.
- Tobacco Policy – George Clossin was not in attendance. Brenda Dooley reported that a soft effect of the suggested policy will go into effect June or July 2013 and the actual policy will be start January 1, 2014.
- Parking – Ardith Sampson, Public Safety, reported that the University will be moving towards lower speed golf carts and that training will be required for all employees using golf carts. She stated there are no major projects that will occur this summer, but there will be minor work done on student lot 50. They will be placing stop signs with stop bars on Parr Drive in Pertle Springs. The bike policy has not changed. Bikes are not permitted in any university building. They will be checking up on the bike racks to make sure they are sufficient.
- Survival Adult Abuse Center – Helen Mills stated that the committee has not met so there is nothing new to report at this time.
Old Business - None for this agenda.
- Student employment changes – Teresa Alewel and Amber Goreham, Career Services, explained that there will be changes to hiring of student employees. They are working on a centralized application for all departments to use. This will begin July 1, 2012. All jobs are to be posted. There will be training for the new procedures on May 30th and June 6th. Visit the University Calendar to register for one of these training sessions. They hope to have a handbook available for all departments soon. In addition, they are looking into the option of posting graduate assistantship (GA) positions.
- Elections were held and these are the new Support Staff Council officers:
President: Barb Hicks
Vice President: Annette Charles
Secretary: Tina Walker
Treasurer: Ginny McTighe
- New bank account for survival fund – Barb Hicks explained that the survival fund needs to be separated from the Foundations Office. Judy Kenney suggested having two signatures required on the account. Barb Hicks will contact Mary Schreimann to find out the Council’s options. Diana Summers will also talk with Toni Kreke.
- The massage booth raised $345.
The next meeting will be June 12th – Union 305 at 1:30p.m.
Barb Hicks thanked everyone for attending and adjourned the meeting at 2:50 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Tina Walker, SSC Secretary