Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content



Next SSC Meeting

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:00 am in Union 219

 

Fall Support Staff Newsletter

 

 



Support Staff Council

President: Annette Charles
Vice President: Barb Hicks
Treasurer: Alice Dempsey
Secretary: Tina Walker





september08

September 2008

Support Staff Council

September 9, 2008

1:30 P.M.

Union 117

Attendance: Sarah Bailey, Pam Bennett, Greg Biesemeyer, Debbie Combs, Brenda Dooley, Peggy Harrison, Kathy Maham, Ginny McTighe, Susan Malott, Stephanie Myers, Shelia Schneider, Joyce Stephens, Dianna Summers, Dean Murphy, Dr. Betty Roberts

Guests: Becky White, Gretchen Reynolds

Stephanie Myers called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m.

Welcome and Introductions

Stephanie welcomed all attendees to the meeting, and each person introduced themselves.

Approval of August Minutes

August minutes were approved as read.

Treasurer’s ReportSusan Malott

Survival House ~ $4,314.86

Support Staff Council ~ $1,131.32

Foundation Educational Award ~ $432.03  

            One award given for fall, $250 for spring

Survival House Committee Report –Gretchen Reynolds

SSC Survival House

            604.75 --- Revenue

            430.00  Bowling for the Green

            The next meeting will be next week.

            School supplies where purchased for the survival house.

            Items are purchased upon request.

            Brad said a new facility in process; address is not given due to security reasons.

                       

Professional Staff Council (PSC) ReportStephanie Myers

Holly Davenport was unable to attend the meeting, but she did send an email with the Professional Staff Council report.  At their last meeting, they began discussion on dates for their annual event that will be in April, the community coffee, and they elected a treasurer, Susan Brockhaus.  After seeing how efficiently the Support Staff council runs, Holly suggested that they need to add in the position of a treasurer to better handle the budget items.  Carol Nimmer has agreed to be their secretary.

Another item that PSC mention at their last meeting was the community coffee that is shared between SSC and PSC.  It was their understanding that “governance groups” shared this expense.  After some discussion among SSC it was decided that it was only shared between PSC and SSC, and not a governance group project.

Administrative Liaison Dr. Betty Roberts

Timeline for strategic plan Draft 6; recommendations to the Cabinet by September 30, 2008.

What are strategies that need to be put in place to motivate these things?

Strategic goals

            -Do they reflect what we want to accomplish?

            -How will we accomplish these goals/objectives?

How department goals support the university goals?

      Department leaders will be in charge to see that they meet the goals/objectives

      Be forthcoming to SPRC so they can track changes

            Look at the KPI handouts and see how it applies to your department.

                     Item # 3 = 6 year graduation rate, maybe add 4 year graduation item?

                       

Comments need to be submitted to me by 17th of September so that the comments can be submitted by the deadline.

Sarah Bailey = get the goals down to list of what every department could do the help reach objectives

Dr. Roberts= each department will need to make departmental goals off the university Strategic Plan

Morrow Garrison

            Design work continues on this project. The basic design of the building is complete and the detail design of the interior and exterior has begun. Once completed, sufficient information will be available for construction managers to bid on the building project. Completion of the Morrow-Garrison academic component of the project is still slated for the beginning of the fall of 2010 semester. The student recreation portion of the project is also due to be completed in the fall of 2010, in time for the start of indoor activities dictated by the cold weather season. Final design plans will be presented to the Board of Governors for approval at its Sept. 17 meeting.

           

            Energy Service Co. Prov.

            Sustainability—President issued @ University Address, carbon footprint reduced

                        Big initiative = ESCO bid = w/ Clinton Foundation w/ no money given

                        $1billion set out there to help w/ deferred maintenance, got to find a company willing to provide the services

            Energy Service Provider in residence hall already, with approximately 10 years left on the bond.

                        -How to bring it out to the campus?

            ESCO companies

                        -State prequalified companies (4 companies allowed to bid)

                        -Bond to do this, 20 years to pay off

            Recycling program

                        -The sources went away

                        -Will be wrapped w/ residence halls

            Sheltered workshop is overloaded and not able to come pick it up

            US News Reporting System

                        -Greenest campus

            Radio/TV Station

KMOS-TV and KTBG-FM 90.9 The Bridge, UCM ’s public broadcasting stations, recently joined Powell Gardens to continue the success of “Go Green”

People are asked to donate an extra $5 to be used for the planting of trees by the Powell Gardens horticulture staff.

Master Plan Committee Plan – Sarah Bailey

Sarah Bailey reported that the last full committee meeting was on June 17 in preparation for the June 18 presentation to UCM Board of Governors. With the BOG approval of the proposed recommendations work could continue on the final report. An emaildraftof the Master Plan along with a Student Life Space report was provided to committee members on 8/20/2008. The final report is scheduled for completion around the end of October 2008.

Task Force on Compensation ReportShelia Schneider

Last meeting was in May and they finished discussion on benefits. Steve Popejoy is putting together a recommendation but it hasn’t been presented yet.

Vice President/Peggy HarrisonStephanie Myers and Becky White

Due to Peggy taking a new position on campus in a different area she had to step down as one of the Academic Affairs representative.  The position Peggy took was vacated by another person on the council. After offering the alternate position to the next person who turned it down due to work conflict, Stephanie made the motion that Peggy be voted into the Alternate position in Student Affairs and therefore also made the motion that Peggy retains her position as Vice President of Support Staff Council.  These motions were passed.

Committee Representative TermsStephanie Myers

            Several committee representatives have questioned the length of their terms on their appointed committees.  Stephanie has approved extending the representatives terms on these committees.  Peggy will look into all the committee representatives and their terms and discuss with the representatives if they wish to continue their service or if new representatives need to be appointed.

Dianna Summers

       The office supply swap will be held on October 8 or 15

Ginny McTighe

            Professional Development available through email that Ginny received, “Ten Behaviors of Managers Who Excel”.  The information was given to Stephanie if anyone is interested.

            The President’s Commission on the Status of Women Committee is accepting applications for scholarship assistance.  The application deadlines are January through May 2009.  This information was given to Stephanie if anyone is interested.

Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 14 from 1:30-2:30 in Union 117.