Support Staff Council
Support Staff Council (SSC) Minutes
September 11, 2012 at 9 a.m. in Union 235
Attendees: Brenda Dooley, Barb Hicks, Tina Walker, Nancy Gieselman, Ginny McTighe, Keondria McClish, Dr. Rick Sluder, Virdia Stevens, Judy Kenney, Claudia Welhoff, Tia Milburn, and Victoria Swope.
Barb Hicks called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone. A moment of silence was observed in honor of Patriot Day. Each person introduced themselves and noted the area where they work.
August minutes were presented for approval. Brenda moved to approve the minutes; Nancy seconded the motion and the motion passed.
Ginny McTighe, Treasurer, reported the SSC general funds account balance is $1987.04 which includes $517.68 for the Support Staff Award leaving a balance of $1469.16. The Education Award balance is $829.48 and the Support Staff Council Foundation balance is $2,351.29 which includes $218 for the Support Staff Award leaving a balance of $2133.29. The total amount available for the Support Staff Award is $735.88.
Dr. Rick Sluder, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, gave the following information:
- The President Cabinet has not met, so there is not an update at this time.
- Dr. Sluder distributed two documents; 1) fall enrollment 3 weeks after classes began and 2) agenda from Student Success Committee. The fall enrollment chart show results for all students (including, graduate, undergraduate, and international) over the past ten years. The numbers of freshmen students are increasing but he noted the problem is with the retention of the current students. The Student Success Committee agenda has a list of all the Rapid Response Teams on the committee. Three key items that are the main focus of the Provost and Deans are: a formative assessment within the first 4 weeks of classes; syllabi that have clear objectives, expectations and policies; and, reinforcing the importance of regular attendance. He asked that Support Staff continue to be a positive role for the students. A concern about students enrolling in 15 credit hours each semester was mentioned as some students have to work to pay tuition, have families, etc. Dr. Sluder understood the concerns and indicated that those students should seek guidance from their Academic Advisors.
Professional Staff Council Report
Beth Rutt, Professional Staff Council (PSC) President, could not attend the meeting. However she asked Barb to share a flyer about the Coat & Boot Drive; it will be emailed to Support Staff Beth has contacted the President’s office to schedule the 60 Minutes with the President but hasn’t received a response. Once the date is set they will share that with the PSC and SSC members.
- Parking committee-no report
- The suggested tobacco policy should be presented to Board of Governors on September 21, 2012.
- Barb stated that a task force was created for reviewing the policy regarding the Emeriti Faculty and Professional Staff Dinner. The task force consists of Vicki Orcutt (chair), Glenda Carmack, and Vicky Swope. They’ll submit a proposal to include support staff in this event.
- Barb noted that the Support Staff will continue to work with PSC on professional development workshops and community service activities.
- Barb asked if anyone had additions/changes to the proposed Goals for 2012-2013. Brenda moved to accept the Support Staff Goals for 2012-2013 as listed. Ginny seconded the motion and motion passed. Goals may be added later if needed.
- Barb thanked Brenda for volunteering to represent Support Staff for the Faculty Senate meetings.
- Barb stated that the presidents from Faculty Senate (Cheryl Riley), PSC (Beth) and SSC (Barb) will all be meeting on a regular basis. Brenda suggested that the Bargaining Unit President be included in those meetings. Barb said she would look into getting them included in the meetings.
- Barb noted that Delilah Nichols has posted Rucksack to Backpack information on UCM Daily. This seminar regarding military veterans as students will take place on October 2, at noon in Union 236.
- Barb asked that the committee (Nancy, Tina, and Brenda) reviewing the 2011-2012 Council Accounts have the review done by the December meeting.
- Nancy mentioned that Walgreen’s is giving flu shots and accepts the University’s insurance. Ginny added that Community Health is also providing flu shots.
- Ginny provided the date for Survival Girl’s Night Out as February 26, 2013.
- Ginny stated that MOCPA will be at Northwest Missouri State University on March 1, 2013. There is funding available through the President’s Commission for the Status of Women for Support Staff to attend-contact Micki Muin for details.
- Ginny noted that April 24, 2013 is Administrative Professionals Day and it would be nice if there was some kind of gentle reminder for bosses.
The next meeting will be October 9, 9 a.m. in Union 235.
Barb moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:42 a.m., Brenda seconded, meeting adjourned.
Respectfully submitted by Tina Walker, SSC Secretary