Doug Koch, Ph.D.
Ph.D. (2006). Virginia Tech - Curriculum and Instruction, Technology Education Concentration
MA (1997). Ball State University - Technology Education
BS (1996). University of Wyoming - Industrial Technology Education
2012 - Present Associate Prof. & Chair, School of Technology - University of Central Missouri
2003 - 2012 Associate Professor & Interim Chair - Southeast Missouri State Univ.
2000 - 2003 Graduate Teaching Assistant - Virginia Tech.
1998 - 2000 Technology Ed. Teacher - Northfield Jr./Sr. High School
1997 - 1998 Technical Training Developer - Arvin Industries Inc.
1996 - 1997 Production Machining - Chrysler Corporation
Membership in Professional & Scientific Societies
- The Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (ATMAE)
- Exec. Board Member 2011-2013
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Epsilon Pi Tau (EPT)
- International STEM Education Association (ISEA)
Certifications and Licenses
- Missouri Vocational Certification.
INDM 4210 - Industrial Management
CADD - 1105 Basic AutoCAD
CADD - 1110 Lab
IE192/592 -Selection & Org. of Subject Matter
IE193/593 -Principles of Ind. Tech. Teaching
IE196/596 -Foundations of Career and Tech. Ed.
IE197/597 -Coordination of Cooperative Ed.
IE 401 - Technology Education Management
IE 590 - Assessment in Career and Tech. Ed.
SE316 -Techniques of Teaching Tech. Ed.
SE370 -Secondary Block III: Field Experience
UI319 - Science, Technology, & Society
TG120 - Computer Aided Engineering Graphics
TG220 - Solid Modeling & Rapid Prototyping
TG334 - Design Modeling and Processes
TG326 - Production Drafting
CM226 - Residential Drafting & Design
CM322 - Commercial Arch. Drafting & Design
CM243 - Construction Methods and Materials
MN - 416 Mfg. Seminar - Drafting & Design
IM - 419 Industrial Supervision
Publications (last five years)
- Deken, B., Koch, D., & Dudley, J. (in press). Establishing a Robotics Competition in an Underserved Region: Initial Impacts on Interest in Technology and Engineering. Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering.
- Koch, D. & Sanders, M. (2011). TheEffects of Solid Modeling and Visualization on Technical Problem Solving. Journal of Technology Education, 22(2), 3-21.
- Koch, D. & Scott, S. (2011). The Effects of Gender of Visualization and Technical Problem Solving. The Technology Interface International Journal (in press).
- Scott, S. & Koch, D. (2010). Teaching University- Level Technology Students via the Learning Preferences and Problem-Solving Approach. The Journal of Technology Studies, 36(1).
- Wang, L.C., Ding, H, Feng, J.R, Wang, S., Xiao, A., Koch, D. (2010). Implementation of Integrated Manufacturing of Free-form Surfaces, The 2010 International Conference on Digital Manufacturing & Automation. Dec. 18-20, 2010, ChangSha, HuNan, China.
- Scott, S. & Koch, D. (2009). Problem Solving Approach of Technology Students. The Technology Interface Journal, 9(2).
- Scott, S. & Koch, D. (2009). Does Gender Impact Teaming? Proceedings of 2009 ASEE EDGD Midyear conference.
- Scott, S. & Koch, D. (2009). Problem Solving Approach and Success in a Design Project - Proceedings of 2009 ASEE EDGD Midyear conference.
Grants and Funded Projects (last five years)
- Koch, D (2011). Internal Grant (GRFC). An Investigation of The Effects of 3D Solid Modeling on Spatial Visualization and Cognitive Load (Total $2435).
- Xiao, A., Koch, D. & Wang, S. (2010). Training Modules for Advanced Manufacturing Technique Using CNC - Department of Labor WIRED grant. 2010. (Total $137,118).
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Gateway to Technology (2010). Department of Labor WIRED grant with Cape Career and Technology Center, Multiple faculty (Total $33,170).
- Dudley, J., Deken, B., & Koch, D. (2010). Robotics Competitions, Department of Labor WIRED grant (Total $27,210).
Professional Presentations (last five years)
- Koch, D. (2013).Presentation. In The Door Faster Equals Out the Door Faster: Examining an Accelerated Degree Program Starting in High School for Rapid Workforce Development. ATMAE, Developing the Future Workforce, New Orleans, LA (November 21, 2013).
- Chavez, J. & Koch, D. (2013).Presentation. Safe by Design: A Look at Building Design Methods and Construction Techniques Aimed to Decrease Violence at Educational Institutions. ATMAE, Developing the Future Workforce, New Orleans, LA (November 21, 2013).
- Koch, D., Xiao, A., Wang, S. (2010).Presentation. Implementing Computer Aided measurement in the Classroom - A Closer Look at the Software and Hardware. ATMAE Bridging the Gulf, Panama City Beach, FL (October 28, 2010).
- Xiao, A., Koch, D., Wang, S. (2010).Presentation. Manufacturing Process Optimization for Contoured Surface Using Laser Tracker. ATMAE Bridging the Gulf, Panama City Beach, FL (October 29, 2010).
- Koch, D. (2010).Missouri Association of Career and Technology Education (MO-ACTE). Presented on First LEGO FTC Robotics (July 28, 2010)
- Scott, S. & Koch, D. (2009). Problem Solving Approach and Success in a Design Project - Presentation of 2009 ASEE EDGD Midyear conference.
- Koch, D. (2009). Missouri Association of Career and Technology Education (MO-ACTE). Presented 2 technical sessions/workshops on 3 Dimensional Solid Modeling. (July 22, 2009).