Please answer all of the following questions as accurately as you can. You will receive your score and immediate feedback after submitting your answers.
1. My motivation for taking online classes is . . .
High – my work schedule/life circumstances prevent me from taking campus classes
Moderate – I would like to see if this is a possible alternative to the campus classes I can now take
Low – I am not yet sure how taking online classes will benefit me
2. Face-to-face interaction with both my instructors and classmates is . . .
Not important to me
Sometimes important to me
Very important to me
3. When I have assignments, I . . .
Often get them done ahead of time
Need reminders of due dates
Put them off until the last minute, and have trouble completing them on time
4. Classroom discussion is . . .
Not usually necessary for me to understand my course work
Sometimes helpful to me
Very important to my understanding
5. When an instructor gives directions for an assignment, I like to . . .
Read and follow directions carefully
Skim directions to get the general idea
Figure things out on my own
6. The amount of time I expect to spend on an online class compared to an on-campus class is . . .
About the same
Less – I'm hoping online courses don't require as much time
7. When I have to use new computer technologies such as email, computer software, or discussion boards I . . .
Feel comfortable because I have highly developed computer skills
Feel a little nervous because I have moderately developed computer skills
Avoid it because my computer skills are lower than average
8. When it comes to my reading ability . . .
I am a strong reader
I am a good reader – I usually understand what I read
Reading is not one of my strengths
9. Choose the statement below that best fits you:
I express myself best in writing
I express myself fairly well in writing
It is difficult for me to express myself in writing
10. I best understand information when it is presented in:
A visual format (written, pictures, diagrams, etc.)
A both visual and an auditory format (lecture, tapes, etc.)
An auditory format
11. I currently have:
A computer at home with internet access
A computer at home with no internet access
No computer at home & no internet access
12. I would rate my skill in using a word-processing program as . . .
High – I have excellent word–processing skills
Average – I have good word–processing skills
Lower than average – I have little or no experience working with a word-processing program
13. I would rate my knowledge and use of email as . . .
High – I use email daily
Average – I use email weekly
Lower than average – I rarely use email
14. Please select the statement that best applies . . .
I am good at problem-solving technical difficulties on the computer
I am okay at problem-solving technical difficulties on the computer
I am not good at problem-solving technical difficulties on the computer
15. If instructed to download a software program, I would . . .
Feel confident, I have downloaded software many times before and require no instruction
Feel a little uncertain, I have downloaded software a couple of times before and could do it with adequate instruction
Feel lost, I have never downloaded software and would have no idea where to begin
16. Please select the statement that best fits you . . .
I send emails with attachments on a regular basis
I have sent an email with an attachment at least one time before and should have no problem doing it again
I have never sent an email with an attachment and do not know how
17. How many hours a week do you currently spend on your computer?
6 or more hours
18. When asked to copy and paste text from one document to another, I would . . .
Have no difficulty
Have a little difficulty, but may need some assistance
Not know what to do
19. When asked to convert a file to a "PDF" format in a word-processing program, I would . . .
Have little difficulty, but may need some assistance
20. I have access to a consistent Internet connection (i.e. download speed of 3 mbps or higher) . . .
All of the time
Most of the time