Project Management Essentials
About the Course
Managing a project and being aware of the methods and processes involved in projects is critical in today’s business world. The foundations of project management are presented in this 28-hour course with an emphasis on project planning and controlling the project. This course offers a job-related approach to successful project management across application areas and industries.
What You Will Learn:
Participants will be exposed to each of the ten knowledge areas and the five process groups in a review/discussion type presentation. Basic overviews of each of the key processes will be covered. Open discussion, active participation and completing the scenario-based exercises will be essential to help reinforce the details needed to retain the information.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a detailed level of understanding of project management processes and knowledge areas with a focus on planning and project controls.
- Initiate a project using a project charter and identification of stakeholders.
- Create a project plan including schedule, cost, quality, communications, staffing, risk, and stakeholder management.
- Execute the project following the project plan, implementing proper change control and quality assurance.
- Monitor and control project scope, quality and risks.
- Close the project including contracts, lessons learned and project reviews.
- Demonstrate an understanding of critical path and scheduling compression methods and earned value management methods to monitor and control costs and schedules.
Who Needs to Attend:
This course is designed for novice or accidental project managers who want to learn or increase their project management skills and apply a standards-based approach to project management. Information in this course can serve as the building blocks for the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® and the Project Management Professional (PMP®) Certification.
No prequisites are required however a general concept of project management will be helpful.
- Project Management Body of Knowledge, 5th edition (PMBOK)
- PM Essentials Workbook
To Ensure Your Success
We recommend you complete as much pre-course reading as possible. This includes reading the PMBOK and learning terms and processes.
- Session 1: Project Management Fundamentals, History and Benefits
- Session 2: Project Management Methodologies, Processes and Knowledge Areas
- Session 3: Project Manager Roles, Capabilities and Skill Sets
- Session 4: Project Selection, Selection Methods and Models
- Session 5: Project Charter, Project Plans and Documents
- Session 6: Collecting Requirements, Scope Statements and the Work Breakdown Structure
- Session 7: Time Management, Critical Path, Estimating, and Schedule Compression
- Session 8: Risk Management, The Risk Matrix and Register
- Session 9: Quality Management, Metrics and Quality Tools
- Session 10: Controlling the Project and Change Control
- Session 11: Managing Cost, Earned Value Management and Estimating
- Session 12: Managing Procurement, Contract Types and Fundamentals
- Session 13: Managing Communications and Stakeholders
- Session 14: The Kickoff Meeting
- Session 15: Closing Projects
- Session 16: Making it Work in Your Organization and the Checklist
We recommend that you follow this course with
- Certified Associate in Project Mangement (CAPM®) Certification Preparation
- Project Management Professional (PMP®) Certification Preparation