Lab School History
Lab schools at Central Missouri trace their origin back to 1906 when the Missouri General Assembly approved $50,000 to construct the first training building. They provided K-12 education to faculty members’ children and to youth from Warrensburg and the Centerview area, which at the time had no high school. The high school went through three name changes: Training School, College High and, when it closed in 1976, University High. The elementary school closed in 1980.
At varying times, classes were held in what is now Lovinger (which still has some of the students’ lockers and the gymnasium), the Art Center (where the cafeteria was) and Humphreys. At one point in its history, Central Missouri’s Training School was said to have been the most completely equipped teacher training school in the west, if not in the United States.
College High Memorial
A permanent memorial to College High was dedicated west of Morrison Gymnasium in 2007, following two years of planning and private fund-raising initiatives. Designed by Richard Monson, UCM professor emeritus of art, the memorial consists of three brass pylons arching over the school seal cast in bronze and set into the memorial floor. Each of the three pylons contains stained glass panels in the schools colors of green and white, designed by Monson and created by UCM alumnus Rebecca Hite and the staff of her stained glass studio.
The panels represent several of the academic areas available to the school's students. At the top of each pylon are stained glass panels containing stylized images of the colt, the College High mascot. Completing the design is the gray stone masonry at the base of each pylon, creating a visual link to the Humphreys Building. Three bronze plaques with the history of the school are mounted on the pylons, and the memorial is lit by a small light in each pylon, providing a twilight glow during the evening hours.