Fingerprinting & Background Checks
Web-Based Application for Substitute Certificate
A $50 processing fee is required for the substitute certificate.
You must have a current clear background check for your substitute teaching certificate to be issued.
- Access the DESE Web Applications website.
- Enter your User Name and Password.
- If you have already created an Educator Profile, you must use the same User Name and Password.
- If you have not created an Educator Profile, select “Register.”
- Click “Educator Certification System” listed on the left column under Office of Educator Quality.
- Click “Substitute Cert” listed on the left column under New Applications.
- Verify your personal information and edit if necessary.
- Verify your education information and edit if necessary.
- Click “add” and complete the information using the drop down menus.
- Click “save” after entering information.
- Click “edit” if necessary for corrections.
- Complete the yes/no boxes under Professional Conduct.
- Click “Content Substitute” under Type of Application.
- Click “I Accept” to release your educational information.
- Click “Submit to DESE.”
- Click “Log Out” on the left column of the page.
- Check your “certification status” periodically. After you certificate has been issued, you can view and print your certificate through your Educator Profile by selecting “certification status.”