Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

UCM Study Abroad 101

Study Abroad
Grant funding available to every student.

Faculty and Scholar Services

Faculty and Scholar Services

Sponsored Student Program

Sponsored Student Program

UCM English Language Institute

English Language Institute


Study Abroad FAQs

Why should I study abroad?

Top 5 Reasons to Study Abroad

  1. Globalization is changing the way the world works. Employers increasingly seek workers who have both cross-cultural skills and cutting-edge technical skills.
  2. Competency in languages other than English is increasingly important. Today's graduates are just as likely to work with people from Beijing and Bangalore as those from Boston or Boise, making the ability to work across cultures essential to success in all arenas.
  3. Study abroad opens students' eyes to new ways of thinking, instilling a more informed approach to problem-solving in cross cultural contexts.
  4. Many of the world's most influential innovations are originating from the collaboration of cross-cultural teams, often located continents away.
  5. Study abroad has been proven to improve grades, boost confidence, and help with college graduation and retention rates.

What about my health and safety while abroad?

Study Abroad: Safety and Security

Student safety is a priority at the University of Central Missouri. Whether a student is walking across campus or traveling around the world, a multitude of offices work together to respond to everything from routine incidents to major crises.

In order to prepare a student for a successful study abroad experience, safety and security should be a part of the student's planning process. The resources below are provided to guide a student to make good decisions regarding their study abroad experience.

Safety Planning

Most students that travel abroad enjoy a safe and rewarding experience. However, when traveling to a new environment with communication and cultural barriers, even a minor crisis may be more difficult to handle. The UCM International Center recommends the following safety preparations for all faculty, staff and students before departing the U.S.:

  1. Review the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad page for information on traveling abroad as a student.
  2. Register with the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
  3. Frequently check with the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs for updated information related to Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts

In Case of Emergency

In the event of severe illness or injury to a UCM student(s), or if a UCM student is the victim of a crime, on-site staff (host institution coordinator) should be contacted immediately. Carry on-site staff contact information with you at all times.

After the immediate needs of the student have been met, telephone UCM Study Abroad at +660.543.4195 during weekday business hours (central time zone) to report the problem or incident.

If it is felt that a UCM official should be contacted outside of weekday business hours, telephone the UCM Public Safety at +660.543.4123, and a message will be transmitted to the appropriate UCM official immediately.

For more detailed information about travel planning, please refer to the Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation handbook.

International Insurance Coverage

Your health and safety are the utmost concern to the University of Central Missouri. Thus, all study abroad students participating in a UCM study abroad programs are provided basic accident and sickness coverage while abroad on a UCM approved study abroad program through Mercer Campus Travel Assistance Services. This coverage is automatic for all study abroad participants.

Specific information about the Mercer Campus Travel Assistance Services and coverages will be provided by the study abroad advisor and will be covered in detail during the Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation.

Please not that U.S. Consulates can help you:

  • replace a passport
  • contact family or friends back home in case of emergency
  • arrange for a money transfer, food, or clothing from your family at home
  • provide a list of legal representatives
  • provide information on what to do if you are arrested or robbed

However, U.S. Consulates cannot:

  • provide legal representation
  • get you out of jail
  • supply you with money
  • give you food while in jail

You can find additional information for students who plan to study abroad at the State Department website for students abroad.

Can I afford to study abroad?

Studying abroad is surprisingly affordable. Many UCM programs are based on exchange agreements with universities abroad, so UCM students can study at an international university for essentially the same cost as remaining in Warrensburg. Some programs in countries with a low cost of living can be less expensive than a comparable period of study at UCM.

Furthermore, financial aid, loans, scholarships and grants can be applied to study abroad. In an effort to offset the additional costs associated with studying abroad: airfare, passport and visa fees, international insurance, etc., the Study Abroad office provides some grant funding to every student participating in an approved program. Additionally, students that meet one of the three criteria for the TRIO program (first generation college student, under-represented in higher education, or Pell Grant eligible can apply for one of twelve $2500 Generation Study Aborad Scholarships awarded annually.

How much does it cost to apply?

Applying to UCM's Study Abroad program is free.

Can I graduate on time?

Yes. With careful planning, students can remain on track to graduate in four years even while studying abroad for up to a year. Meet with a study abroad advisor and start planning early. Work closely with your academic advisor(s) to design the best course of study based on your program.

Do I need to speak a foreign language to study abroad?

No. Many programs all over the world are taught entirely in English. Some offer beginner level courses in the various languages. Other programs are entirely taught in a modern language. UCM students may even be able to receive credit in a modern language not offered at UCM.

Do I need a passport or a visa?

Yes. All students that leave the U.S. need a passport. However, not all programs require a visa. In most countries, students staying for less than 90 days do not require a visa.

How do I get started?

Attend a Study Abroad 101 session. Apply to up to three study abroad programs online. You will be assigned your own study abroad advisor to help you make the final decision.


Log-in to access your global education program.

Apply now for the Generation Study Abroad Scholarship, click here to learn more!

Application priority deadlines:

Summer 2019 programs: February 20th
Fall 2019 programs:February 20th

Spring 2019 programs: September 20th




Study Abroad 101

Mondays: 4-5 p.m.

Wednesdays: 4-5 p.m.

Union 302

Conversation Partner Hour

Will resume in August

Thursdays 3:30-5:00 p.m.
The Center for Multiculturalism and Inclusivity Lounge, 3rd floor of the Elliott Student Union.

Connect with

UCM Study Abroad