Skip to Main Navigation | Skip
Dockery Building, Suite 101
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Darrell Brammer, Director Partnership Development and Internships
Sarah Alkire, Coordinator
Maximizing the Benefits of an Internship
- Provide a meaningful and challenging hands-on work experience allowing the intern to apply and enrich their knowledge and skill set relating to their academic discipline.
- Appoint one person who will have direct supervisory responsibility for the intern’s assignments, daily performance and assessment.
- If possible, appoint one person, outside of the intern's direct supervisor, in the organization to act as a mentor, providing guidance and advice to the intern as needed.
- Prior to the start of the internship, or early in the process, provide the intern with a detailed outline of what is expected. This may include but is not limited to:
- Job description (reasonably detailed)
- Pay rate, method of payment and pay schedule
- Start and end dates
- Expected work schedule, days off, vacation days, etc.
- Transportation to be provided, if any
- Benefits to be provided, if any
- Safety and security concerns
- Other requirements and/or restrictions, as applicable
- Assist interns in establishing goals and assessing their progress. We also ask that supervisors assist us in evaluating the intern’s performance by completing an evaluation that will be provided by the intern to the supervisor near the end of the internship.
- At approximately the mid-point of the internship, the CBI staff will contact each intern and ask that they schedule a visit between the Director of the CBI and the intern’s supervisor. This will be an informal visit, generally about 30-minutes in duration, which will allow us to obtain feedback from both the employer and the intern. We appreciate the employer’s cooperation and endeavor to minimize any disruption to normal operations.
- Provide a work environment and the resources necessary for a productive employer-employee relationship.
- Assess the performance of each intern and provide the intern with feedback and constructive criticism.
- Identify any future requirements or requests for interns to the Director or the Coordinator of the CBI.