I'm a future:
Speech Communication and Theatre
Bachelor of Science in Education Degree
This program is designed for you to become a secondary speech communication and theatre teacher. This program emphasizes the knowledge and application of communication, public speaking concepts, argumentation, debate and mass communication.
Why Choose Speech Communication and Theatre at UCM?
- This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- You'll have performance opportunities in 25-30 productions each school year.
- Each semester, there are two to three main stage productions, and students design and direct one-act plays.
What will I study?
The Speech Communication and Theatre program at UCM offers hands-on, real-world experiences, including a world premiere of a new children's theatre script that's staged each year for the public and area school children. In addition, students may become involved in acting, directing and writing plays for UCM's experimental Black Box theatre productions.
- Media Literacy
- Studio Theatre
- Student Teaching
- Secondary Teaching and Behavior Management
What can I do with a degree in Speech Communication and Theatre?
- Grades 9-12 Speech and Theatre Teacher
How can I get involved outside the classroom?
At UCM, we value engaging learning experiences that include student involvement and service-learning projects.
In Speech Communication and Theatre, there are several involvement opportunities:
- Dr. Ed See Student Teachers Association (UCM)
- Theta Alpha Phi National Theatre Honorary
- Pi Kappa Delta National Speech Communication Honorary
- Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honor Society
- International Association of Business Communicators
- National Broadcasting Association
- Pi Kappa Delta
About our Faculty:
The student to faculty ratio is 20 to 1, which allows professors to get to know you and provide personalized attention.
At UCM you'll work side by side with a faculty of extraordinary educators and professional theatre and dance artists. The faculty are dedicated to providing you with the opportunity to find your unique voice as an artist and share your visions, curiosities, bravery and talents with a collaborative team.
Learn more about Speech Communication and Theatre at UCM.