to the UCM Bands website!
There is not an official deadline for marching band auditions, although it is preferred that auditions be completed by mid-July to ensure that students receive all summer mailings in a timely fashion.
Students may audition using any of the following methods (students auditioning at Scholarship Audition Days will be notified of their acceptance in written form; students auditioning by appointment will be notified immediately upon completion of the audition).
All students interested in marching band should enroll in one of the three sections of MUS 1005 (the specific section doesn't matter), Marching Band (1.0 semester hours) while attending an orientation session - regardless of audition status.
1. Annual Department of MusicScholarship Audition Days
Scholarship auditions are held in November and February each year. Students who prepare and complete a general music scholarship audition are automatically considered for the Marching Mules. Specific audition requirements are determined by each Wind / Percussion Instructor.
2. By Appointment
Dr. Lubaroff will be available to audition students throughout the entire year. To schedule an appointment, please email Dr. Scott Lubaroff to schedule an audition on a woodwind or brass instrument; Dr. Michael J. Sekelsky to schedule an audition for percussion; see below for color guard.
3. During Spring/Summer Freshman or Transfer Student Orientation
Please email Dr. Scott Lubaroff
4. During Marching Mules Preseason Camp.
Students who have not completed an audition using one of the methods above, may audition during the Marching Mules Preseason Camp (marching band members move into student housing or their off-campus housing, the Friday before classes begin in the fall. PRESEASON CAMP is held at designated times, Friday - Tuesday, before classes begin).
Students should plan to audition at the time designated on the PRESEASON CAMP schedule.
Woodwind and Brass musicians will be asked to do the following to audition for the Marching Mules:
1. Play a major scale to warm-up (Concert F major, or Concert Bb major)
2. Play the student’s high school fight song, or a brief selection that demonstrates the student’s ability.COLOR GUARD AUDITIONS
Color guard auditions will be held on the UCM Campus on two designated dates. ALL prospective guard members - whether new to the Marching Mules or not - will be required to audition for a spot on one of these dates. There will also be an optional pre-audition mini-camp on Saturday morning, April 28, to help students in their audition preparations.
Saturday, #1, 2012 (Saturday, April 28) - Pre-Audition Mini-Camp (optional)
9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: LOVINGER GYMNASIUM, on the UCM Campus
Workshop on Technique, Dance, Preparation, and Required Audition Routine (Required routine video below)
Audition Saturdays, 2012 (Choose ONE: May 19 & May 26)*
Location: LOVINGER GYMNASIUM, on the UCM Campus
8:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Work together on Technique, Dance, and Audition Routine (Required routine video below)
11:00 AM: Auditions
Required Routine Information
THE COMPLETE AUDITION WILL BE IN THREE PARTS:
1) EACH individual should prepare a routine of their own creation to perform as part of the audition - lasting approximately 1 minute and integrating dance and flag. Music is optional, although a CD player will be available for those who choose to bring their own audio.
2) EACH individual should prepare the following prescribed audition routine (click the link for your choice of video format below). NOTE: Video files may take several minutes to fully load.
3) A brief additional routine will be taught during the morning session of each audition date, for inclusion in the audition sequence at the end of the morning.
REGISTER FOR AN AUDITION DATE (check back, spring, 2013, for audition registration)
* If you are not able to attend either of the above dates, please contact us as soon as possible with your inquiry regarding the possibility of alternate arrangements. Preference will be given to guard members who attend one of the workshops listed above.
Please direct inquiries to:
Dr. Scott Lubaroff
Utt 109 - UCM
Warrensburg, MO 64093
The Marching Mules continue to be one of the only university marching bands in the Midwest to highlight the talents of a feature twirler. Positions are open dependant upon return of current feature twirler. Please complete the Contact Form for information about current openings.
The Mulekickers are Central’s outstanding dance/drill team! Information concerning auditions may be obtained by contacting the Department of Athletics 660-543-4250.
Basketball Pep Band
Students must be current members of the Marching Mules to audition for the Basketball Pep Band. Auditions are normally held in mid to late September. Complete details are available on the Basketball Pep Band page.
Wind Ensemble auditions are held during the first week of classes each fall. Members selected for Wind Ensemble are normally expected to play both fall and spring semesters. Complete details are available on the Wind Ensemble page.
The Symphonic Band begins rehearsals at the close of the regular marching band season. Auditions are held for select sections only. Students may join in the fall, following the marching season, or join in the spring semester. Complete details are available on the Symphonic Band page.
Jazz Ensemble auditions are held each semester, during the
first week of classes. For complete audition information, please contact
Dr. David Aaberg, Director of Jazz/Commercial Studies.