Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Contact: Jeff Murphy
WARRENSBURG, MO (Aug. 29, 2012) – A Warrensburg historic home donated to the University of Central Missouri Foundation by its owner, the late Maurine Achauer, will be utilized for the university’s alumni and events offices.
The Achauer House
“Maurine truly had an exceptional gift for bringing people together. We’ll never know just how many lives were touched, how many special memories were created, and positive lasting impressions of the Warrensburg community were formed just because she generously opened her front door to others,” said UCM President Charles Ambrose. “We hope that the example she set for all of us and her kind, giving spirit will live on through those who now welcome others into the Achauer House.”
Built in the 1800s, the three-story Victorian home is located at 314 Holden St. Work begins this fall with a completion date tentative for January 2013. An open house is planned to show the remodeled home to the campus and community.
“The Achauer House has the tradition of hosting campus and community gatherings, and we plan to honor and continue that tradition,” said Jason Drummond, vice president for development and executive director of the UCM Foundation. “Not only will the home provide alumni and events offices, but it also will be available to community and university groups as a place for special gatherings.” The UCM Foundation is funding the majority of the renovation.
The home’s first floor will be remodeled for meetings, receptions and other small events while the second floor will be reconfigured for three offices, storage and a small conference area. The renovation also will update electrical and mechanical systems and address accessibility issues. Many of the home’s historic features, such as the staircase and slate fireplaces, will be retained.
Achauer gifted her home to the UCM Foundation through her estate. The longtime Warrensburg civic leader, resident and businesswoman died in 2009. The only child of Dr. Rubin and Ada Carver Poage, she was born in 1915. She completed high school as valedictorian and was piano accompanist at her own graduation. Achauer received academic degrees from Truman State University, the University of Missouri and University of Nebraska. She married Reynolds Achauer in 1942, and together they operated Vernaz Drug Store and the Annex Restaurant in Warrensburg for more than 30 years. They had two children, Bruce, who died in 2002, and Ann Achauer Maidment, who lives in Toledo, Ohio.
During her 50 years of living in the house, Achauer brought together thousands of people from all walks of life. Every homecoming, her home was the place to be, as students, faculty, staff, alumni, friends and their families packed bleachers set up on her front lawn just for the occasion.
Achauer received the UCM Distinguished Service Award in 1994, was an early participant in the launch of Johnson County’s community health program and a member of KMOS-TV’s first advisory council. She was one of the first members of the UCM Foundation Presidents Society and spearheaded fundraising for the suites at Walton Stadium. She also contributed the funds to build the White Rose Pavilion at the National Sigma Tau Gamma Headquarters in Warrensburg and the fraternity named the 1987 National Conclave in her honor.