Academic Council Minutes
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Chairs and Provost: 3:30-4:00
Wood Hall 105
The Academic Council functions as the primary organizational group for department chairs and deans. The Council functions in an advisory capacity to the Provost/Chief Learning Officer for Academic Affairs. The Council recommends actions to the Provost who either responds or directs the recommendations to the proper person or organization within the university governance structure. These recommendations will indicate the Council's majority opinion on an issue or a call for action. The recommendations will be in writing and will contain the appropriate individual or group to receive the recommendation.
I. Approval of Minutes from March 10, 2015
- Motion to approve by Fanson Kidwaro.
- Seconded by Greg Streich.
- Unanimously approved.
- Buzz Herman introduced John Wilson, who will be the new Chair of Theatre & Dance.
II. Department Chair Discussion with Provost (3:30 - 4:00)
A.Finalizing Chairs Compensation
- Thank you to the subcommittee for forming the original document, meeting with AC Exec, then reworking: Art Rennels, Chris Opatrny, Odin Jurkowski and Fanson Kidwardo.
- The most recently emailed document was the shortened and simplified version.
- Provost Curtis called for the process to be started, so it can be instituted into the payroll system.
- The piece still up in the air is market pay discipline Chairs.
- The Provost is meeting with Dean Best and Dean Greife to discuss, then will invite market pay Chairs into the conversation.
- A concern was raised that the stipend has been taken away for Chairs of very large departments.
- Large departments might push to reorganize programs across departments, making Chair workload and salary more commensurate with other departments.
- Managing more faculty members should be a consideration.
- May modify the teaching load for chairs that have many responsibilities.
- Some departments may be modified in the future.
- Most interested in simplifying the formula.
- Flexibility is an advantage of this new plan.
- Additional release from teaching if needed.
- Part-time assistant chair, who could have possibly a quarter-time release.
- Not a one size fits all plan. Work is not the same across campus, which brings different expectations and requirements across campus.
- There are not significant changes in pay with the new model. No salaries will be decreased.
- We are not using an evaluation system that provides the right amount of feedback.
- Perhaps divide work on annual reviews.
- Have peer reviews instead of putting all responsibility on Chairs.
- Goal for this plan is July 1
- Decreased teaching load will begin July 1. Chairs expressed appreciation for lower load.
- Moving to a 12 month plan.
- Provost will watch for training opportunities. Want chairs to have the knowledge and training to complete their job.
- Expect training time in the summers, because it is the best time to gather.
- Possible opportunities for Academic Chairpersons Conference
- External training (ACE) - generic training, but good basic information to start.
- EAB - focus on training chairs to use data. Many institutions are doing this.
- Motion to approve the Chairs compensation plan was brought by the subcommittee
- Buzz Herman seconded the motion.
- 22 votes were made in favor
- 0 votes opposed
- 1 abstention
- Question was raised about revising the process for faculty evaluations.
- Husch Blackwell is giving input. They suggest an institutional policy library. Instead of a faculty guide, information could be reached through links.
- HR will give examples and provide best practices.
The remainder of Academic Council this week will be held in Twomey Auditorium (Wood Hall 100) for a TK20 orientation session for chairs, beginning at 4:00.
III. Questions regarding written reports
IV. Information Items
A.UCM Process For Updating Transfer Guides. Please review and bring questions to next AC meeting May 12.
V. Discussion Items
VI. Action Item
VII. Future Agenda Items
A.OPs and Chairs Training
Thank you to Dean Alice Greife and the College of Health, Science, and Technology for providing the snacks and refreshments for our meeting today
Remaining Schedule for 2014-2015
May 12 2015 3:00 * Union 237A
June 9 2015 3:00 * WDE 2401